Transporting Radioactive Materials on Campus

The requirements for the transportation of radioactive materials within the confines of the university must comply with both the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. Transporting may involve walking or driving radioactive materials across campus, in either case Radiation Protection Services must be notified before any transfers take place. This is to insure that proper procedures are followed and the movement of radioactive materials within the university can be tracked. Any transfers of radioactive materials between principle investigators must be pre-authorized by the campus Radiation Safety Officer (RSO).

For more information, please click one of the following links:

Transporting Radioactive Materials by Automobile

The NRC and DOT regulate the transportation of radioactive materials. You must not move any radioactive material on a public road without prior authorization by Radiation Protection Services. Remember that all roads on SUNY Stony Brook are public. Radiation Protection Services will prepare documentation and transport your material. The sender's responsibility is to contact Radiation Protection Services in advance and properly package all radioactive material.

Package the materials using the appropriate container (see Package Preparation). Label the package properly using a radioactive warning label with the isotope, activity and date clearly marked. A representative of RPS must check the condition of the package before transport takes place. A radiation worker must be present at the receiving location to take possession of the material at the arranged time.

Applicable Regulations

49 CFR 173.401 - 49 CFR 173.476 (Subpart I - Class 7 Radioactive Materials) NRC

Printer-friendly version Print