Radiation Safety Guide
Radiation Protection Services (RPS) has the responsibility to implement the radiation safety program at Stony Brook University. The complete rules and regulations for the safe use of radioactive materials can be found in the University Radiation Protection Committee (URPC) Policies and Procedures booklet, which is available in each authorized radioactive materials laboratory. This booklet is provided to aid you in recognizing your responsibility for radiation safety. While it gives an overview of basic radiation safety procedures, it is the responsibility of each radiation worker to be thoroughly familiar with all applicable sections of the Radioactive Materials Safety Manual.
Please click one of the following links to navigate throughout this guide:
- Authorization to Use Radioactive Materials
- Ordering and Receiving Radioactive Materials
- Radiation Protection Procedures
- Radioactive Material Surveys
- Radioactive Material Survey Procedures
- Removable Contamination Limits
- Radioactive Waste Disposal
- Personnel Dosimetry
- Pregnant Workers
- Radioiodine Exposure Monitoring
- Accidental Spills of Radioactive Material
- View Entire Guide
It is the responsibility of each woman working with radioactive materials to notify in writing both her supervisor and RPS of her pregnancy as soon as she becomes aware of the pregnancy. The RPS information booklet Possible Health Risks to Children of Woman Who are Exposed to Radiation During Pregnancy is available upon request.