In all emergencies, except very minor spills of radioactive materials, contact either:
between the hours of 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. After hours, call University Police by dialing 911 if using an on-campus phone, and dialing (631) 632-3333 if using a cell phone or an off-campus phone. Have University Police page the University Radiation Safety Officer (RSO).
For more information, please click one of the following links:
- Extreme Hazards
- Other Hazards
- Environmental Health and Safety Laboratory Emergencies Page
- Radiation Emergency Spill Procedures Policy
Follow the following procedures for spills or suspected spills of radioactive materials where material does not become airborne:
- Confine Contamination
- Localize the spill. Drop absorbent material on a liquid spill.
- Damp down a dry spill.
- Do not track contamination about the laboratory. Call, do not go for help if possible.
- Close door and, where possible, adjust ventilation to prevent spread of airborne contamination.
- Check shoes before leaving area of a cleaned-up spill.
- Monitor all persons involved in the clean-up and wash well before leaving the area.
- Personal Protection
- Remove contaminated clothing and wash contaminated parts of the body with detergent.
- Be especially thorough in flushing out wounds.
- Warn other workers.
- If thorough washing with detergent does not remove contamination from the body, consult Radiation Protection Services.
- Permit no person to resume work in the area until the radiation protection personnel has made a final survey and given approval for occupancy.