In all emergencies, except very minor spills of radioactive materials, contact either:
between the hours of 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. After hours, call University Police by dialing 911 if using an on-campus phone, and dialing (631) 632-3333 if using a cell phone or an off-campus phone. Have University Police page the University Radiation Safety Officer (RSO).
For more information, please click one of the following links:
- Extreme Hazards
- Other Hazards
- Environmental Health and Safety Laboratory Emergencies Page
- Radiation Emergency Spill Procedures Policy
Follow the following procedures for high radiation levels or the possibility of airborne contamination from dry or volatile radioactive materials:
- Evacuate the laboratory immediately.
- Close and lock the door or stand guard to prevent entrance.
- Have a Radiation Protection Services (RPS) Representative summoned immediately.
- Before leaving the area to contact RPS, remove shoes if contaminated and do not touch anything.