Home > Tip of the Month
Tip of the Month
Space Heater Safety
- With the increased home heating costs this season, many people are turning to space heaters as a supplement to their heating systems. If not used properly, space heaters pose a significant fire safety hazard. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when using a portable heater.
- Never use extension cords with a portable heater.
- Only use heaters that have a tip over switch.
- Only use UL listed heaters.
- Only use kerosene and propane heaters in ventilated areas.
- Keep combustible materials at least 24 inches away from all sides of the heater.
- Do not leave the heater on when not in the room.
- Never leave young children unattended near the heater.
- Always read and follow the manufacturers guidelines.
Last year there were 729 fire alarms on campus; 224 of those alarms were cooking related, many of which could have been avoided. Please do not leave any cooking appliances unattended when in use. This not only endangers your life, but the lives of everyone around you. Fire safety is everyones responsibility.