News and Alerts
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY ANSWERS THE CALL TO RECYCLE!
Joins National Rechargeable Battery and Cell Phone Recycling Program
With its eye on the environment, Stony Brook University (SBU) has joined a national program called Call2Recycle™ to conveniently recycle used rechargeable batteries and old cell phones generated on Campus. This program will strengthen and enhance SBU's existing program by providing more convenient and safe disposal options to the Campus Community.
Rechargeable batteries are commonly found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, digital cameras, two-way radios, camcorders, and other electronics. Cell phones and other electronics often contain precious metals, copper, and plastics - all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Recycling not only conserves these materials, but prevents air and water pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
SBU and other institutions nationwide are therefore working in cooperation with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Cooperation (RBRC), a non-profit public service organization that operates the Call2Recycle™ program. By participating in the RBRC Program, SBU is helping to preserve our environment and to prevent rechargeable batteries and cell phones from entering the country's landfills.
If it's rechargeable, it's recyclable! The following rechargeable battery chemistries can be recycled - Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-ion), Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn), and Small Sealed Lead Acid batteries weighing up to 11lbs/5kg per battery (Pb). Note: The Call2Recycle program does not accept alkaline, lithium, non-rechargeable, or wet-cell batteries.
The Department of Environmental Health & Safety is coordinating this program and working with Building Managers to set up collection boxes throughout campus. To learn more about the Call2Recycle™ program or to find a drop off location on Campus, visit SBU's Environmental Health & Safety website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/ehs/waste/recycling_program.shtml.
News and Alerts Archive
- August 24, 2012 - Community Household Sharps Collection
- January 1, 2012 - CDC Finds Salmonella Outbreak Related to Clinical and Teaching Labs
- May 5, 2011 - June 2011 Safety Expo
- January 14, 2010 - Outbreak of Human Salmonella Associated with Contact with Water Frogs
- November 6, 2009 - STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY ANSWERS THE CALL TO RECYCLE!
- July 22, 2009 - OFPC Inspections
- Feburary 6, 2009 - Peanut Containing Products Recall
- January 15, 2009 - Port Jefferson Rescue
- July 12, 2005 - If You See Something, Say Something
- August 30, 2004 - 3 Students Die in Frat House Fire
- December 4, 2003 - Winter Weather Safety
- August 26, 2003 - Motor Vehicle Crashes
- May 16, 2003 - University SARS Guidelines
- May 13, 2003 - Closing the Door on Lab Safety Hazards
- May 5, 2003 - North American Occupational Safety and Health Week (NAOSH)
- April 11, 2003 - Ozone-Depleting Chemicals Management
- March 13, 2003 - Habitat for Humanity Fundraiser
- January 30, 2003 - Recall of Back-Up Power Supply Systems
- January 21, 2003 - Interim final rules for select agents and toxins