News and Alerts
3 Students Die in Frat House Fire
August 30, 2004
The Associated Press reported that a fire swept through a fraternity house at the University of Mississippi early Friday, killing three students during the first week of classes. While the cause of the fire is still under investigation, we are reminded about serious threat of fires on campus. All students, faculty and staff are urged to learn about the ways to prevent fires.
- What are some of the causes of fires on campus?
- Cooking, smoking and arson are among the leading causes.
- Candles, halogen lamps, extension cords also contribute.
- What can students do to prevent fires and protect themselves?
- Know and practice fire safe behaviors by identifying hazards and using appropriate preventative measures.
- Be aware of the fire protection features (e.g. sprinklers, fire alarms, fire doors, exits, etc.) of their buildings.
- Do not tamper with fire protection equipment, prop open fire doors or block exits.
- While cooking, do not leave stoves unattended!!!
- What do I do if there is a fire?
- Everyone must evacuate when the fire alarm sounds.
- Remove - you and others from the immediate area.
- Alarm - Call University Police (911 or 632-3333) and/or activate the fire alarm.
- Contain - Close (do not lock) doors.
- Extinguish and/or Evacuate - use only one extinguisher.
For more information, please go to the EH&S Fire Safety web page.
News and Alerts Archive
- August 24, 2012 - Community Household Sharps Collection
- January 1, 2012 - CDC Finds Salmonella Outbreak Related to Clinical and Teaching Labs
- May 5, 2011 - June 2011 Safety Expo
- January 14, 2010 - Outbreak of Human Salmonella Associated with Contact with Water Frogs
- November 6, 2009 - STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY ANSWERS THE CALL TO RECYCLE!
- July 22, 2009 - OFPC Inspections
- Feburary 6, 2009 - Peanut Containing Products Recall
- January 15, 2009 - Port Jefferson Rescue
- July 12, 2005 - If You See Something, Say Something
- August 30, 2004 - 3 Students Die in Frat House Fire
- December 4, 2003 - Winter Weather Safety
- August 26, 2003 - Motor Vehicle Crashes
- May 16, 2003 - University SARS Guidelines
- May 13, 2003 - Closing the Door on Lab Safety Hazards
- May 5, 2003 - North American Occupational Safety and Health Week (NAOSH)
- April 11, 2003 - Ozone-Depleting Chemicals Management
- March 13, 2003 - Habitat for Humanity Fundraiser
- January 30, 2003 - Recall of Back-Up Power Supply Systems
- January 21, 2003 - Interim final rules for select agents and toxins