Biosafety Training Requirements
Training is a key element in the process of working safely with biohazardous materials. Basic training requirements at SBU are summarized below.
All lab workers using biohazardous materials must complete these courses, one time:
- ELS 003:Laboratory Safety - Biological Hazards
- ENV 001:Hazardous Waste Management
- ENV 005:Regulated Medical Waste
All lab workers in BSL2 laboratories must also complete annually:
- ELS 003:Laboratory Safety - Biological Hazards or
- ELS 020:Laboratory Safety - Biological Hazrds - Annual Refresher
All lab workers working with human or primate source material (tissue, blood, cells, etc.) must also complete annually:
The listed courses are in basic lab safety principles and do not replace the need for training in the laboratory in safe performance of specific procedures and techniques that are unique to the experiments being performed.