New Faculty

Principal Investigators, faculty, and other laboratory supervisors have the ultimate responsibility for the safety of the lab staff, students, and visitors in the research or teaching laboratories in which they work. Principal Investigators have direct responsibility for ensuring that all safety policies are fully executed. This is accomplished through the review of work practices, inspection of facilities, development and implementation of procedures, use of engineering controls and personal protective equipment, mandatory training and the prompt correction of noted deficiencies. Additional PI responsibilities can be found on the EH&S Responsibilities web page.

All laboratories must be registered with Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S). This registration will identify laboratory spaces, responsible Principal Investigators (PI) / Laboratory Managers, emergency contacts, and hazardous materials and/or hazardous operations in laboratories. The information will be used to ensure regulatory compliance, facilitate and improve emergency response times, assist with future reporting requirements and approval for grant applications.

Register your lab with Environmental Health & Safety

You can register your lab using the Laboratory Registration System.

You can sign up for the EH&S labsafety listserve to receive training announcements and safety alerts.

If you will be working with any of the following in your lab, follow the links to learn what you need to comply with Stony Brook University procedures:


State Sanitary Code 16 and Stony Brook University's Broad Academic and Medical Radioactive Materials License #455 mandate many aspects of the use of radioactive material and ionizing radiation producing equipment on campus:

  • Senior Investigator Licensing procedures (permit process)
  • Personnel Authorization
  • Workplace Authorization
  • Required Training programs
  • Radiation Safety Radiation Inspections
  • Personnel Dosimetry
  • Notice to Employees
  • Low Level Radioactive Waste Management
  • Radiological Survey Instrumentation
  • Area Contamination Surveys and Radiological Surveys
  • Enforcement
  • Emergency Procedures

What is needed to work with radioactive material?

  1. Each researcher needs to be authorized to work with a Senior Investigator who is permitted to work with radioactive material by the URPC. This is accomplished by filling out a Personal Authorization form and the Training History form that is part of the Senior Investigator radiation safety logbook. Submit these forms to the University Radiation Safety Officer (zip 6200) for authorization and for the next available radiation safety orientation session.
  2. Each researcher must attend the radiation safety orientation training class provided by Radiation Protection Services (RPS) bi-weekly and pass the test at the end of the three hour seminar. Class times and location are listed in the Senior Investigator Compliance Calendar.
  3. Annual radiation safety refresher classes are also a licensing condition in order to remain an authorized RAM user.

Important Information Resources

Printer-friendly version Print