What are the "rules"?
- Chemical manufacturers must send an MSDS with each new shipment.
- Each area or lab must maintain any MSDSs that are received with incoming shipments of hazardous chemicals, and ensure that they are readily accessible to employees.
- All employees must know how to obtain an MSDS and must be able to read and understand the information.
- If you ship a chemical sample off campus, an MSDS must be sent with package. Use this guideline for writing your own MSDS: How to Write an MSDS
- Recommend making an MSDS book with "TOP 20" chemicals. Keep this book in the work area for emergencies (take to Emergency Department!).
Are there any tutorials that explain how to read an MSDS?
Check out these web sites on how to read and understand an MSDS:
Also check out the MSDS HyperGlossary which explains hundreds of terms and acronyms commonly found on MSDS's.