Laboratory Safety Coordinators
Laboratory Safety Coordinators are appointed by departments to facilitate the implementation of the various safety requirements and assist in establishing a safe work environment by collaborating with EH&S, faculty, other researchers and lab personnel. The Lab Safety Coordinator is familiar with their department operations, has management support and has an understanding of laboratory safety requirements.
Departmental Laboratory Safety Coordinator List
Go to this list to find out who is the Laboratory Safety Coordinator for your area. Contact Kim Gates (2-3032) if you would like to be appointed as the Lab Safety Coordinator for your department or group. Your Department Chair, Principal Investigator, or Supervisor will need to send an email to approve your appointment.
Each lab group or department needs to appoint someone as Laboratory Safety Coordinator. The Laboratory Safety Coordinator will assist with the implementation of the EH&S Laboratory Safety policies and assists in establishing a safe work environment by collaborating with EH&S, faculty, other researchers and lab personnel. The Lab Safety Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Coordinate laboratory safety and environmental compliance efforts based on EH&S programs.
- Serve as liaison between the laboratory and EH&S in helping maintain safety and regulatory information, including Material Safety Data Sheets
- Attend training sessions provided by EH&S, sharing information with department
- Participate in campus-wide Lab Safety List Server
- Distribute safety information to all lab personnel. Communicates information on identified hazards, precautions, and required corrective actions throughout the department.
- Assist EH&S in evaluating program effectiveness.
- Conduct or coordinates periodic laboratory self-inspections
- Routinely communicate and advise PI, Department Manager/Chair on safety and injury/illness prevention efforts and activities.
- Provide guidance on laboratory safety compliance to other laboratory members.
- Request information and clarification on regulatory requirements from EH&S.
- Assist in responding to any regulatory actions or investigations.
- Participate in the development of the Laboratory Emergency Plans and assists with emergency management planning and response as needed.
- Maintain safety records such as copies of accident reports, lab audits, and fire code violations.
- Ensure that lab personnel receive all required EH&S training and lab specific information.
- Oversight that safety conditions in the laboratories are met.
- Assist supervisors in properly investigating and documenting all accidents and injuries.
- Maintain laboratory safety postings
- Assist in developing, implementing, and communicating departmental safety policies and programs.
- Coordinate laboratory submissions of hazardous materials inventories to EH&S for annual updates and storage relocations.
- Communicate with the Building Manager on facility issues related to safety.
Lab Safety Coordinators must take all the EH&S safety training required to do their job. In addition, Lab Safety Coordinators need to take the ELS015: Laboratory Safety Coordinator course on Blackboard to learn more about the safety requirements for labs.
Lab Safety Coordinators should be keeping track of the EH&S training taken by the lab staff. Use this "training tracker" to keep the information in one place.