Biohazard Spills (BSL1 & 2 Labs)
Follow this procedure in the event of a spill.
- Alert people in immediate area of the spill
- If you do not have the proper materials or need assistence call 911 (campus phone) or
(631) 632-3333 (cell phone)
- Put on protective clothing/PPE: closed lab coat, disposable gloves (double glove), disposable shoe covers, safety goggles, face shield, or respirator, as necessary.
- Cover spill with paper towels or other absorbent materials
- Carefully pour a freshly prepared solution of disinfectant appropriate for the agent, (typically 10% dilution of bleach) around the edges of the spill and then into the center of the spill. Avoid splashing or creating aerosols when pouring the disinfectant.
- Allow appropriate amount of time for the disinfectant to inactivate the material (30 minutes for 10% bleach). Place any disposable protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves into Regulated Medical Waste (Red Bag). Disinfect any reusable PPE before reuse.
- Don any PPE removed. Use paper towels to wipe up the spill, working from the edges into the center. Dispose of in a Red Bag.
- Soak fresh towels with disinfectant and wipe up spill.
- Place towels and isposable protective clothing in Red Bag and dispose of as regulated medical waste.
BSL 3 labs should respond as per their site specific Biosafety Manual.