Biohazard Spills (BSL1 & 2 Labs)
Follow this procedure in the event of a spill.
- Alert people in immediate area of the spill
- If you do not have the proper materials or need assistence call 911 (campus phone) or
(631) 632-3333 (cell phone)
- Put on protective clothing/PPE: closed lab coat, disposable gloves (double glove), disposable shoe covers, safety goggles, face shield, or respirator, as necessary.
- Cover spill with paper towels or other absorbent materials
- Carefully pour a freshly prepared solution of disinfectant appropriate for the agent, (typically 10% dilution of bleach) around the edges of the spill and then into the center of the spill. Avoid splashing or creating aerosols when pouring the disinfectant.
- Allow appropriate amount of time for the disinfectant to inactivate the material (30 minutes for 10% bleach). Place any disposable protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves into Regulated Medical Waste (Red Bag). Disinfect any reusable PPE before reuse.
- Don any PPE removed. Use paper towels to wipe up the spill, working from the edges into the center. Dispose of in a Red Bag.
- Soak fresh towels with disinfectant and wipe up spill.
- Place towels and isposable protective clothing in Red Bag and dispose of as regulated medical waste.
BSL 3 labs should respond as per their site specific Biosafety Manual.
To remain in compliance with guidelines set forth by the NIH, spills involving work with Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (rsNAM) and associated materials should refer to Stony Brook University policy regarding incidents with rsNAM.