Lab Safety Guide
Practice Good Housekeeping and Personal Hygiene
- Avoid direct contact with any chemical.
- Never smell, inhale or taste laboratory chemicals.
- Always wash hands and arms with soap and water after removing gloves and before leaving the work area.
- Never eat, drink, chew gum or tobacco, smoke or apply cosmetics in the laboratory.
- Do not pick up broken glass with your hands. Use tongs or other mechanical means.
- Remove Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gloves and lab coats before leaving the lab.
- Remove gloves before handling common items like phones, instruments, door knobs, etc.
- Keep all work areas clean and uncluttered. Wipe down benches with cleaners or disinfectants regularly.
- Do not block emergency showers, eye washes, exits or hallways.