Winter Fire Safety Tips
With the increased home heating costs this season, many people are turning to space heaters as a supplement to their heating systems. If not used properly, space heaters pose a significant fire safety hazard. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when using a portable heater.
- Never use extension cords with a portable heater.
- Only use heaters that have a tip over switch.
- Only use UL listed heaters.
- Only use kerosene and propane heaters in ventilated areas ( Not permitted on campus)
- Keep combustible materials at least 24" away from all sides of the heater.
- Do not leave the heater on when not in the room.
- Never leave young children unattended near the heater.
- Always read and follow the manufacturers guidelines
Additional information is available at the following websites: