Cooking Fire Safety

Note: Cooking is allowed in designated areas only. Not dorm rooms!

To prevent a cooking fire in the kitchen:
  • Never leave cooking unattended. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires.
  • Wear short or close-fitting sleeves. Loose clothing can catch fire.
  • Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up.
  • Keep curtains, towels and pot holders away from hot surfaces.
  • Store solvents and flammable cleaners away from heat sources.
  • Turn pan handles inward to prevent accidental spilling.
  • Slide a pan lid over flames to smother a grease or oil fire, then turn off the heat and leave the lid in place until the pan cools. Never carry the pan to the sink or outside; you may spread the fire that way.
  • Make sure a dry chemical fire extinguisher is located near the cooking area. Go to the fire extinguisher page for operation. Never use water or flour on grease fires.
  • Close the oven door and shut off the heat to smother an oven or broiler fire.

Printer-friendly version Print