Home > Fire Safety
The Fire Safety Group of the Department of Environmental Health & Safety is comprised of a Manager of Fire Safety and twelve Fire Marshals who serve a population of over 30,000 faculty, staff, students, and guests on the Main Campus, University Hospital and Medical Center, Long Island Veterans Home, Southampton Campus, Manhattan Campus, Research and Development Campus and the Calverton Incubator. The Fire Marshals are New York State certified Code Enforcement Officials, Hazardous Materials Technicians, Technical Rescue certified and Emergency Medical Technicians. Each fire marshal is assigned a geographical area and has additional specialized duties.
- The Fire Marshals are responsible to ensure:
- Strict compliance with the New York State Fire Code and Building Code
- Fire safety education for students, faculty and staff members.
- Inspection and testing of all fire detection and suppression systems through monthly life safety inspections and monthly fire extinguisher inspections.
- Conduct fire drills throughout the campus and evaluate performance.
- Review of new construction and renovation plans to be in compliance with the State Building Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) National Fire Codes.
- Respond to fire, medical, hazardous material, and technical rescue incidents on campus.
- Inspection and training of the AED program.
- Support other divisions of the department in their efforts.