Tank Program

Federal, State and County regulations have set requirements that govern the storage of hazardous materials. Stony Brook University has a program designed to meet or exceed these requirements. The program intends to prevent releases to the environment by adhering to construction requirements, performing regular inspections of storage areas, establishing plans to prepare for spill prevention and response and working with regulatory agencies to register tanks and upgrade our program as needed to maintain compliance.

If you are the owner or operator of a storage tank you need to be familiar with the information provided below.

Owners and operators of storage tanks must be familiar with the applicable regulations. For more information on the regulations for underground storage tank systems review the EPA booklet Musts for USTs.

Owners and operators of storage tanks must know how to operate and maintain their tanks and tank systems. For information on the operation and maintenance of underground storage tank systems review the EPA Tank Operations and Maintenance Manual.

Owners and operators of storage tanks must inspect their underground and aboveground tanks on a regular schedule. Tanks must be inspected every day for signs of leakage and inventory loss. A comprehensive inspection of the tanks by Environmental Health and Safety must be completed every year.

Owners and operators of storage tanks must follow certain procedures prescribed by regulators when a storage tank is closed. For information on EPA requirements for tank closure please review the bulletin Closing Underground Tanks (in Adobe PDF format). Additionally, see the EPA Closing Underground Storage Tanks Brief Facts.

Stony Brook University requires owners and operators of storage tanks to maintain accurate records of any tank closure. If you close a tank, please submit a copy of the Stony Brook University Tank Closure Certification to Environmental Health and Safety whenever you close a storage tank.

Additional Information

For additional information on the regulations, please contact the following agencies at these sites:

Printer-friendly version Print