Spill Response

Any release (spill) of a chemical or petroleum product to the ground, open waterway, sanitary sewer, storm drain or air, requires quick action on the part of those involved or anyone who notices the release. If there is a spill, Environmental Health & Safety should be notified during regular business hours. If the spill is large, or if emergency conditions develop as a result of the spill, University Police should be contacted immediately. Promptly reporting and initiating a clean up of the spill will mitigate further damage and prevent potential fines or penalties. EH&S will review the initial response and advise what additional response actions may be necessary by the campus departments involved or others. This includes contacting the necessary authorities, dispatching clean-up crews and fulfilling any reporting requirements.

For information on appropriate actions to take if you have or notice a spill, please click one of the following links:

Large Spills and other Emergencies

  1. Call University Police
    • Dial (631) 632-3333 from any phone OR
    • Dial 911 from any campus phone
  2. University Police will contact Environmental Health and Safety
  3. Contain the spill in a defensive fashion
    • Use spill control materials (e.g. absorbent booms, pads or other materials) to prevent spilled material from entering floor drains, storm drains or the ground (unpaved areas).
  4. Provide assistance, such as information and materials, to University Police and Environmental Health and Safety as needed.
  5. Spills must be reported to the NYSDEC and Suffolk County if:
    • Spill occurs outside of a containment area or on the ground, OR
    • Spill is five gallons or more, OR
    • Spill is not cleaned up within two hours.
  6. Provide details to University Police by calling 911 or Environmental Health and Safety by calling (631) 632-6410. If you are unable to contact anyone on campus you must report the spill to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
    • NYSDEC Spill Hot line: (800) 457-7362
    • DEC Region 1 Hot line: (631) 444-0322
    • SCDHS Spill Reporting: (631) 854-2537

Printer-friendly version Print