Welcome to the Diversity Website.
The Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity (OIDE) is the primary advocate for diversity awareness and the leading resource for diversity and cultural competency programming and training at the Stony Brook University. This function is essential is fulfilling OIDE’s mission to ensure a campus climate that is safe, accessible, welcoming and free from all forms of discrimination, including sexual misconduct. Some of the activities we undertake to meet this need are:
- Promote an awareness of and appreciation for diversity through providing educational and training programs, developing activities, sponsoring programs, and engaging in collaborative initiatives;
- Foster mutual respect and understanding among all campus constituents and communities.
- Championing innovative programs to enhance the conversations, climate, and celebration around diversity issues;
- Fostering collaboration and cooperation between students, staff, and faculty by providing opportunities for these groups to learn about and experience diversity outside of the typical work setting or classroom environment;
- Continuing to provide leadership and aid in the University’s goal to diversify the faculty and staff through proactive outreach efforts;
- Support the University in its proactive recruitment, hiring and retention of under-utilized groups for all job groups and job titles;
- Coordinating strategic planning related to diversity and;
- Ensuring that Stony Brook University offers a working, learning, and living environment free from discrimination and harassment and is one that promotes equity and opportunity.
To see Stony Brook University's Diversity plan, please click here.