Job Title: Director of the Writing Program
Phone: (631) 632-7390
Education: 1969 B.A., English, University of Notre Dame; 1973 M.A., English, Queen's College, Oxford University; 1977 Ph.D., English, Yale University
WRT 101 Introductory Writing Workshop
WRT 102 Intermediate Writing Workshop
WRT 698 Practicum in Teaching Writing
Writing Instruction, Biography, 18th Century Studies, Jonathan Swift
- Thoughtful Writing, Kendall Hunt Publishing; third edition, 2009
- Critical Thinking, Thoughtful Writing, McGraw-Hill, 1985, second edition, 1988
- Teaching Writing, McGraw-Hill, 1983.
- Travels Through the English Sentence, University Press of America, 1996 (with Chen-liang Sheng).
- "University of Maryland, College Park, Freshman Writing Program," New Methods in College Writing Programs, ed. Paul Connolly and Teresa Vilardi, New York: The Modern Language Association, 1986, pp. 106-110.
- "Freshman Comp/Junior Comp: Does Coordination Mean Subordination?", College Composition and Communication, May 1984.
- "Irony and Criticism of Rhetoric in Erasmus' Praise of Folly and Swift's Tale of a Tub,"Studies in Philology, Summer 1983, pp. 253-276.
- "Justice in Thomas More's Utopia and in Swift's Gulliver's Travels, " Studies in English Literature, Summer 1982, pp. 445-468.
- "Beatrice's Three Fathers: Successive Betrayal in Shelley's The Cenci, " Essays in Literature, Spring 1981, pp. 25-32.
- "Hythloday's Questions in More's Utopia," Moreana, June 1981, pp.25-27.
- Review of Ann Berthoff's Forming/Thinking/Writing, in Teaching English in the Two-Year College, Winter 1981, pp. 151-154.
- "A Swiftian Borrowing from Erasmus' Colloquies," Notes and Queries, February 1980, pp.. 32-33.
- "Professional Writing Programs: Lessons for Freshman Composition," ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading and Communication Skills, microfiche, 12 pp., 1979.
- "Teaching Invention in Composition Courses," Maryland English Journal, Fall 1978, pp. 26-33.
- "Jonathan Swift's Impolitic Critique of His Mentor, Oxford," East Central Society for Eighteenth Century Studies," Washington, DC, November 7, 2008.
- “Jonathan Swift’s Evasions about the Asiento in Conduct of the Allies,” East Central Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, Gettysburg, PA, October 26, 2006
- “Swift’s Defense of the Presbyterians in America,” East Central Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, Gettysburg, PA, October 26, 2006
- “Swift’s ‘Lost’ Year: 1690,” East Central Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, Annapolis, MD, October 21, 2005.
- "Primary Research in 18th-Century Magazines and Newspapers," East Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, College Park, Maryland, October 15, 1988.
- "The Ulterior Motives of Literature," Warren Wilson College, Swannanoa, North Carolina, April 23, 1987.
- "Using Peer Pressure to Teach Grammar and Punctuation," Maryland Council of Teachers of English, April 11, 1987, Penn State Rhetoric Conference, July 9, 1987, Goldey Beacom College (Delaware), October 27, 1987.
- "Fact-Inference Pairs as an Invention Device," CCCC, New Orleans, March 15, 1986.
- "Literary Criteria for Judging 18th-Century Travel Books," East Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Gettysburg, PA, October 18, 1985.
- "Teachers and Students as Readers of Student Writing," CCCC, Minneapolis, Minnesota, March 22, 1985.
- "Using Writing to Promote Thinking Skills in All Subject Areas," Montgomery County Public Schools Conference on Higher Order Intellectual Skills, March 6, 1985.
- "Aristotle's Audience: Is It Us?", CCCC, Dallas, Texas, March 26, 1981.
- "A Critique of College Composition Texts," Conference on College Composition and Communication, Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 20, 1979.
- Consulting Writing Workshops for Judges: Colorado, Louisiana, Kentucky, Florida, 1979-1987
- Writing Workshops for MBA students: University of Maryland, 1979-1983
- Writing Workshops for Minority Engineering Students: University of Maryland, 1983-1987
- Writing Workshops for Graduate Students in all Subjects: University of Maryland, 1983-1987
- Critical Thinking and Writing Workshops for Teachers: Montgomery County, Maryland, 1985-1987; Frederick Community College, 1986-87; Gettysburg College, 1993; Baltimore City Schools, 2000; Bard College, 2001
- Literacy in the Various Disciplines Workshop for University Professors: University of Maryland, College Park, June 1987
- Workshops in the Teaching of Writing (at the invitation of the US Ambassador to Djibouti), Djibouti City, Djibouti, 1998
Writing Center • 631.632.7405