Job Title: Assistant Professor
Phone: (631) 632-9186
Office Location: Humanities 2109
Education: M.A. (English Literature, 2000), B.Ed. (English Language Teaching, 2005), Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
M.A. (English, Composition, 2008) & Ph.D. (Rhetoric and Composition, 2012), University of Louisville, KY, US
Courses Taught, Tribhuvan University (2000-2006)
- Linguistics and Stylistics; Foundations of Literature; Literary Criticism; Critical Theory; Intellectual History
- Surveys of British and American Poetry; Drama; Fiction; Critical and Creative Thinking
- Business English
Courses Taught, University of Louisville (2006-2012)
- First Year Composition; Advanced Composition
- British Literature
- Business Writing
Teaching at Stony Brook University (2012-)
- Senior Business Thesis
- K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award, Association of American Colleges and Universities, Washington D.C., 2012
- Barbara Plattus Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Teaching, English Department, University of Louisville, 2011.
- Alice Barns Award for Outstanding Achievement in master's degree, University of Louisville, 2008.
- “Mahendra Bidya Bhusan” (gold medal), Narayanhiti Royal Palace, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2000.
Professional Interests: Theories and pedagogies of composition and rhetoric, writing in the disciplines, digital media and composition, the intersection of global popular culture and literacy practices, multilingualism and language policies, and traditions and histories of rhetoric.
For a full professional portfolio, I’d like to invite you to visit www.shyamsharma.net.
Writing Center • 631.632.7405