Job Title: Full-Time Lecturer
Phone: (631) 632-7398
Office Location: Humanities 2037
Education: Ph.D., CUNY Graduate Center, 2009; MFA, University of Arizona, 1992; BA, Hamilton College, 1976
Courses Taught: WRT 381 Advanced Analytic and Argumentative Writing; WRT 305 Writing for the Health Professions; WRT 102 Intermediate Writing Workshop; WRT 101 Introductory Writing Workshop
Professional Interests: Euro-American intellectual history, especially eighteenth-century rhetoric; writing across the curriculum, especially writing in the health professions; writing transfer; early American literature; queer theory/gender studies
- Letteney, Susan, Beatrice J. Krauss, and Robert Kaplan. "Examining HIV Positive Parents' Disclosure to Their Children: A Biopsychosocial Approach." Social Work in Public Health 27 (2012): 345-360 (forthcoming). Print.
- Krauss, Beatrice J., Christopher Godfrey, Joanne O'Day, Elizabeth Freidin, and Robert Kaplan. "Learning to Live with an Epidemic: Reducing Stigma and Increasing Safe and Sensitive Socializing with Persons with HIV." Teenagers, HIV, and AIDS: Insights from Youth Living with the Virus. Ed. Maureen E. Lyon and Lawrence J. D'Angelo. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2006. 83-103. Print.
- Krauss, Beatrice J., et al. [Robert Kaplan]. "Who Wins in the Status Games? Violence, Sexual Violence and an Emerging Single Standard among Adolescent Women." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1087 (2006): 56-73. Print.
- "Sustaining the Writing Habit: Undergraduate Science Students Discuss Writing Transfer from an Unscientific First-Year Writing Course." SUNY Council on Writing. New York, NY (30-31 March 2012).
- "'When Bodys come to touch each other": Gravitational Benevolence, the Physiology of the Heart, and Social Formation in Francis Hutcheson's Moral Philosophy." Society of Early Americanists. Philadelphia, PA (3-5 March 2011).
- "Moral Perceptions and the Formation of British American Citizens in Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography." Northeast Modern Language Association. Montreal, Quebec, Canada (10 April 2010).
- "Rethinking the Affections: Materiality, Occult Qualities and the Bonds of Society." East Central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies. Bethelem, PA (9 October 2009).
- "'When Bodys come to touch each other': Francis Hutcheson's Gravitational Benevolence and Early American National Formation." Conference celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the American Studies Certificate Program. The Graduate Center, New York, NY (18 April 2008).
- "Sympathetic Performance and White Male Nationhood in The Federalist Papers." Organized by the Society of Early Americanists for the American Literature Association. Boston, MA (28 May 2005).
- "Scottish Moral Philosophy as Early American Literature: The Case of Francis Hutcheson." Northeast Modern Language Association. Pittsburgh, PA (5 March 2004).
- "Men and Sympathy: Geography, Emotion, and History in Charles Brockden Brown's Edgar Huntly." Northeast Modern Language Association. Boston, MA (7 March 2003).
- "Committing Homo-Correspondence: The Bonds of White Men and the New Nation." Northeast Modern Language Association. Toronto, Ontario, Canada (13 April 2002).
- "Cooper's Boys: Critical Heteronormativity and Natural Homotextuality." Northeast Modern Language Association. Hartford, CT (31 March 2001).
- "Billy Budd and the Homoerotics of Revision." Envisioning Revision: The Annual English Students Association Conference. The Graduate Center, New York, NY (18 March 2000).
Writing Center • 631.632.7405