Stony Brook University Stony Brook University home page

F-1 / J-1 Student Overview

Visa and Immigration Services (VIS) works with over 4500 international students, scholars, and faculty from more than 100 countries.  As a part of International academic Programs & Services (IAPS), we advise and assist  those in F-1 and J-1 status with regard to U.S. immigration matters and regulations.  VIS is committed to providing international students and scholars with the highest level of expertise in advising and immigration services.  


F-1 Student Status

F-1 is the most common status used by students in the U.S.

Form I-20

Grace Period:
60 day grace period for departure after program completion

F-2 Spouse CANNOT study or work
F-2 Child may attend k-12 school, but CANNOT work.

On-Campus Employment:

Does NOT require International Advisor (DSO) authhorization, but DSO authorization required to get SSN

Off-Campus Employment:
OPT (12 months + 17 month STEM extension; must be approved by USCIS), CPT,
Internship with International Organization, Severe Economic Hardship (must be approved by USCIS)

Governing Agency: Department of Homeland Security


J-1 Student Status

The J-1 visa is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs.  A J-1 visa may be required if receiving government funding.

Form DS-2019 (every activity site must be listed)
Grace Period:
30 day grace period for departure after program completion
J-2 Spouse or Child CAN study or apply for work authorization
On-Campus Employment:
International Advisor (ARO) authorization letter required in advance for ever job, every term
Off-Campus Employment:
Academic Training and Economic Hardship must be approved in advance by ARO (primarily degree seeking students)
Governing Agency:
Department of Homeland Security & Department of State
Login to Edit