TN NAFTA Professionals
TN status provides work authorization for Canadian (and Mexican) citizens for professionals in "temporary" positions within the pre-approved fields included in the NAFTA treaty for up to three years at a time. To be eligible for TN status the following conditions must be met:
- Must be a "professional" (non-student, non-tenure track) position.
- Must fall within a professional specialty listed in the NAFTA treaty.
- Must require the degree specified for the professional specialty in the NAFTA treaty (usually a bachelor's degree).
- Must agree to employ the TN while the TN is in the US in TN status.
- Must possess the degree specified for the professional specialty in the NAFTA treaty (usually a bachelor's degree).
- Must be a Mexican or Canadian citizen (Canadian Landed Immigrants are not eligible for TN status)
If you are uncertain if this is the most appropriate category for your employee, please contact VIS.