Transfer-Out Students

Students who wish to leave Stony Brook University to attend another U.S. college, university or language program are considered "transfers" - this refers to the transfer of the student's SEVIS record from one institution to another.


You are eligible to transfer if you have been maintaining lawful F-1/ J-1 status throughout your program of study.

Students leaving Stony Brook to attend another school must follow the required transfer procedures (see 'Transfer Out' form) and provide Visa and Immigration Services with the transfer report form from the new institution.

If you are out of status at Stony Brook, you must depart the U.S. and reenter on your new institution's
I-20 /DS-2019 or speak with your new institution’s International Services office about your options for reinstatement.

J-1 students are only eligible to transfer to programs where they can continue their original program objective.

Transfer Timeline
J-1 students must complete the transfer process before the end of their current program.  Graduating F-1 students beginning a new program of study must transfer their SEVIS record within the 60 day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program should request the transfer before the last day of the semester. Please complete the Transfer Out Request in AccessVIS.

You must begin your study at the new school in the next available academic term, and no later than 5 months after program completion, whichever is earlier.

Transfer-Out Procedure
Step 1: Complete the Transfer Out Request in AccessVIS.  Our office must transfer your SEVIS record to the new school before your new Form I-20 / DS-2019 can be issued.

Step 2: Upload the following items to AccessVIS when prompted:

  • A photocopy of the acceptance letter from the school to which you intend to transfer.
  • A photocopy of your I-94 card (front and back) or Stamp and the electronic copy of your I-94.
  • A photocopy of the picture page of your passport.
  • A receipt from Student Accounts showing no outstanding balances.

Step 3: Your new institution may ask you to complete a transfer clearance form signed by your SBU Visa and Immigration Advisor before they issue you a new I-20/ DS-2019 - please be sure to provide us with any required documentation.

Important Note: Students who leave the United States between transfers must use the SEVIS Form I-20/ DS - 2019 of the school in which they will be enrolled when arriving for inspection at port-of-entry.