Transfer-In Students

Students who are admitted to Stony Brook University from another U.S. college, university, high school or language program on F-1 status are considered “transfers” – this refers to the transfer of the student’s SEVIS record from one institution to another.  Students in J-1 status can only transfer to Stony Brook if they will continue to pursue the same program objective. 

You are eligible to transfer to Stony Brook University if you are maintaining lawful F-1 / J-1 status, meet all academic requirements for admission and submit additional supplementary documentation necessary for the issuance of an I-20 / DS-2019.

Please Note: Your course of study at Stony Brook must begin during the next available term, or within 5 months of the end of your course of study / OPT participation at your transfer-out school, whichever is earlier.  Be advised that each student's case may differ, and Visa and Immigration Services can be contacted for additional guidance.

Transfer-In Procedure
Step 1:
Once you are admitted to SBU, have your current/previous International Student Advisor release your SEVIS record to Stony Brook University. Stony Brook cannot issue you an I-20 until your SEVIS record is released.

Step 2: Log-in to accessVIS and fill out all forms to request for a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20). 

Step 3: Stony Brook will issue you a Transfer-Pending I-20.

Step 4: Complete the Intake procedures in accessVIS and attend the New International Student Orientation.

Important Note
Students who leave the United States between transfers must use Stony Brook University’s SEVIS Form I-20 when arriving for inspection at the port-of-entry.  Please retain your previous I-20 for Intake procedures. 

Login to Edit