Federal and State Tax Returns:

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S federal agency in charge of taxes. All students and dependents on F-1 or J-1 visa are required to file Federal Tax Returns with the IRS each year, even if they have earned no income. It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations. Federal/State Tax Returns are  based on earning from the previous calendar year.

Filing forms with detailed instructions are available at most banks or at the post office. Due to the complexity of income tax laws, it is advisable to have questions answered by the IRS or by a reliable tax consultant.

Helpful Resources:

  • Graduate Student Organization's Tax Clinics: Starting Monday, February 24th, the GSO will offer drop-in tax clinics on Mondays and Thursdays, 3-7pm. The clinics provide tax advice from a professional accountant for graduate students and postdocs. Tax preparation services can also be arranged privately with the accountant for a fee. Clinics are held in the GSO office, SAC 227.
  • The University at Buffalo has a very useful webinar that explains the process of completing Federal Income Tax Returns. (Click here for more information).

*NOTE: The material presented on this page has not been approved by the IRS or U.S. Treasury. In addition, Visa and Immigration Services staff cannot answer detailed questions pertaining to your Income Tax Return.

Login to Edit