International Organization Internship:

Any F-1 student, who has received an internship offer from a recognized International Organization, may apply for this benefit.  There is no length of status requirement associated with one’s eligibility for this benefit.

You must have an offer letter from a recognized international organization on the organization's letterhead certifying that the proposed employment is within the scope of the organization's sponsorship (see list of qualifying organizations below). The offer letter must include the proposed dates of employment and number of hours per week (maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters; summer and winter vacation employment may be full-time). You must be in good academic standing and maintaining valid F-1 status to apply. You may apply in increments of up to one year at a time as soon as you are in F-1 status. The internship position does not need to be related to your field of study.

Application Procedures:
Part 1 - Apply for a new Form I-20
The following documents must be submitted to Visa and Immigration Services. Please allow at least two weeks for processing:

  1. A completed Request for a New SEVIS Form I-20, select the last reason "Other" and write "Internship with an International Organization"
  2. An official employment offer letter from a qualifying international organization (will be returned to you).
  3. Copies of all immigration documents (i.e. Form I-20, Passport, I-94 card, Visa).

Part 2 - Applying for EAD card
Step 1: Obtain your updated I-20 and review the requirements for submitting the I-765 with your Visa and Immigration Advisor.

Step 2: Mail the following documents to USCIS within 30 days of the issue date of Form I-20 (processing takes 3-6 months.  You CANNOT begin off campus without the EAD card):

  • A money order, certified check or personal check for the amount of $380, payable to Department of Homeland Security
  • Cover letter addressed to the USCIS processing center
  • Completed Form I-765
  • Completed Form G-1145 (this form is optional)
  • One original Form I-20 issued for employment with an International Organization.
  • Photocopies of all Form I-20s ever received (pages 1 and 3)
  • Photocopy of current Form I-94 (both sides)
  • Photocopy of identity pages in passport, including expiration date and most recent U.S. Visa
  • Two identical passport photographs, with white background; see the Department of State’s guidelines
  • Photocopy of any previous Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued to you.

Recognized International Organizations:
Click Here to see the list of Recognized International Organization.