Welcome to Stony Brook University!
All new F-1 and J-1 international students are required to complete a two-step immigration intake process.
Step 1: Complete the required information in SOLAR (see step-by-step instructions below)
Step 2: Upon arrival to SBU, all students must scan your immigration documents with Visa and Immigration Services. (Passport, current and all previous I-20/DS 2019s, I-94 card, visa) Click Here for the Intake Scanning Schedule.
Important: All IEC students should report to the IEC office for immigration check-in.
Instructions for required SOLAR information:
For step-by-step video instructions click here.
Log into SOLAR: www.stonybrook.edu/solar
I) Update your Emergency Contact Information:
- Click on "Security and Personal Data"
- Click on "Emergency Contacts"
- Click on the green box: "Add an Emergency Contact"
- Enter your Emergency Contact
a. For non-immigrant students, a primary emergency contact can only be your parent, spouse or legal guardian. Even if your primary contact does not speak English, it needs to be your closest LEGAL relative. All other emergency contacts (friends, roommates, or other relatives) can also be entered in your SOLAR account, but cannot be the primary emergency contact.
b. If you click the box for "Same Address as Individual", please make sure that the address you select is the "foreign home address". If the foreign address is NOT the correct address, please type in the correct address.
c. Add the phone number. Remember to save the information.
- Also under the "Security and Personal Data" folder confirm/update your "Addresses", "Phone Numbers", and "Email Addresses". You must have a Local Address in SOLAR (even if your local address changes, update the information for where you are currently living.)
II) Complete the "F-1 and J-1 Student Entry Data"
- 1. Click on "Visa and Immigration Services" (on the main page of SOLAR)
- Click "F-1 and J-1 Student Entry Data".
You will be prompted with a warning if your emergency contact information is not saved, however it will allow you to input information. You must enter your emergency contact prior to completing the F-1 & J-1 Student Entry Data or your F-1/J-1 entry data WILL NOT SAVE.
- Complete the "Documents" section
a. You need your passport and I-94 card to complete the first section. The passport information can be completed before you arrive in the U.S.; however the remainder requires receipt of your I-94 card at the port of entry into the United States.
b. Your I-20 or DS-2019 Completion date is the end date printed on Line 5 of your Form I-20 or line 3 of your Form DS-2019
- Section two relates to Transfer students and is only for students coming directly from another U.S program, school, college or university.
- Once you have entered all the data, check the box indicating that you understand it is your responsibility, not Stony Brook University's, to maintain your immigration status.
- Click Submit. If you did not complete the emergency contact information, the information on the "F-1 J-1 Student Entry Data" page will NOT save.
Access to this page is available until your intake is approved by Visa and Immigration Services (VIS). If you have any changes to your immigration information after the information is "approved", contact VIS.
Upon completion of these items, you are ready to check-in with VIS. Bring your passport, visa, I-94 card, Stony Brook Form I-20 or DS-2019 and any other previous immigration documents (including Forms I-20 or DS-2019 issued by other schools or organizations)
Visit our website (www.stonybrook.edu/visa) for updated check-in times and locations. If you arrive in the U.S. early we recommend that you check in with us immediately.
Best wishes for a successful semester!