On-campus employment

  • On-campus employment for F-1 students does not require written approval if you are maintaining lawful F-1 immigration status.  Intensive English Center students may not work.
  • J-1 Students must meet with a Visa and Immigration Advisor prior to accepting employment.
  • Your on campus job does not need to be related to your field of study.
  • You cannot exceed more than 20 hours of employment per week.

Off-campus employment:

Off-campus employment requires written approval from either an International Student Adviser or USCIS IN ADVANCE of the employment. Do not work until you have received written permission. The four types of off-campus employment are

Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

Anyone who wishes to work on-campus or off-campus must have a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to begin employment. The purpose of an SSN is to help the government keep track of an individual's earnings in the U.S. for tax purposes. Click here for information on obtaining a Social Security Number.