Economic Hardship:

Only after a student has exhausted their options to pursue sufficient on campus employment to meet their financial needs may they apply for off campus employment due to sever economic hardship. Please consult your Visa and Immigration Advisor if you find yourself in need of this benefit.

F-1 Student Application Procedures for Economic Hardship:
Part 1 – Applying for new I-20 Form for OPT.
The following documents must be submitted to Visa and Immigration Services. Please allow at least two week for processing:

  1. Consult your Visa and Immigration Advisor regarding your eligibility for this benefit.
  2. Employment offer letter (if any)
  3. Copy of current Form I-94 Form (both sides).
  4. Copy of identity pages in passport, including expiration date.
  5. Copy of your F-1 visa stamp

Part 2 – Applying for EAD card

Step 1:  Pick-up your Economic Hardship I-20 and review your requirements for submitting the I-765 with your Visa and Immigration Advisor. 

Step 2: Mail the following documents to USCIS within 30 days of the issue date of Form I-20 (processing takes 3-6 months. You CANNOT begin off campus without the EAD card):

  • A money order, certified check or personal check for the amount of $380, payable to Department of Homeland Security
  • Cover letter addressed to the USCIS processing center
  • Completed Form I-765
  • Completed Form G-1145 (this form is optional)
  • One original Form I-20 issued for Economic Hardship
  • Photocopies of all Form I-20 ever received (pages 1 and 3)
  • Photocopy of current Form I-94 (both sides)
  • Photocopy of identity pages in passport, including expiration date and most recent U.S. Visa
  • Two identical passport photographs, with white background; see the Department of State’s guidelines
  • Photocopy of any previous Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued to you.

Important Note:
Students who work without written approval are in violation of immigration status. According to the regulations reinstatement may not be approved by the USCIS after unauthorized employment.