Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment, that is an “integral” part of a student’s established curriculum. The primary purpose of CPT is to achieve a specific academic objective in accordance with degree program. It may not be used for the purpose of gaining work experience or additional income. CPT cannot be elected after course requirements, thesis/project or dissertation are completed. Authorization for CPT is given in the form of an I-20 endorsed by your Visa and Immigration Advisor.
Eligibility for CPT:
- Enrolled as a full-time F-1 student for one academic year and are maintaining valid F-1 status.
- In good academic standing and must have no I/NR grades pending from prior semesters.
- Master’s students who have completed all required courses and are working solely on completion of a thesis, project, or recital, can request CPT only to complete the remaining requirement for the degree.
- Doctoral students who have completed all coursework can request CPT only if it’s necessary to complete the dissertation requirement.
- Must attend the CPT Workshop, review the CPT Presentation, and follow all of the steps indicated on the CPT application form in AccessVIS.
Application Procedures for CPT:
Step 2: Complete the request for CPT through AccessVIS for review. Please allow 10 business days for processing. If your request for CPT is approved a new I-20 will be issued and you will be contacted via email to collect your new I-20.