Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment, that is an “integral” part of a student’s established curriculum. The primary purpose of CPT is to achieve a specific academic objective in accordance with degree program. It may not be used for the purpose of gaining work experience or additional income. CPT cannot be elected after course requirements, thesis/project or dissertation are completed. Authorization for CPT is given in the form of an I-20 endorsed by your Visa and Immigration Advisor.
Eligibility for CPT:
- Enrolled as a full-time F-1 student for one academic year and are maintaining valid F-1 status.
- In good academic standing and must have no I/NR grades pending from prior semesters.
- Master’s students who have completed all required courses and are working solely on completion of a thesis, project, or recital, can request CPT only to complete the remaining requirement for the degree.
- Doctoral students who have completed all coursework can request CPT only if it’s necessary to complete the dissertation requirement.
- Must attend the CPT Workshop, and follow all of the steps indicated on the ‘Curricular Practical Training for F-1 Students Application Instructions’
Application Procedures for CPT:
Step 1: Attend the mandatory CPT Workshop
Step 2: Consult with a Visa & Immigration Advisor regarding your objectives and the application procedures BEFORE ACCEPTING OR BEGINNING any off campus employment. It is important that the advisor determines whether the proposed objectives meet the requirements for CPT and whether you are eligible to apply for CPT.
Step 3: Complete the CPT Application Form with your academic advisor
- Have your academic advisor write a support letter, signed by the advisor and department director.
- Register for the approved internship course (1-3 credits).
- Submit the letter of offer pertaining to the training from your internship supervisor - the letter must be printed on official letterhead and signed by your supervisor.
Step 4: Submit all required documents to your Visa and Immigration advisor for review. Please allow 10 business days for processing. If your request for CPT is approved a new I-20 will be issued and you will be contacted via email to collect your new I-20.