Freie Universität Berlin
About the Program
SBU offers students the opportunity to experience International Summer School at Freie
Universität Berlin, one of Germany’s top ranked and most prestigious universities.
Participants will earn six academic credits while immersed in one of the world’s most
exciting and cosmopolitan cities known for its history, diverse architecture, museums,
contemporary art scene, and universities.
- Guided Tour through the Reichstag Building and the Federal Parliament
- River Boat Tour through Downtown Berlin
- Weekly movie screening presenting popular and well-known German films
- Student ID that gives students access to reduced priced meals at the Freie Universität dining hall, as well as student tickets for sights, museums etc.
- Access to libraries and computing, and printing facilities on the campus
- Welcome and farewell buffet
Course of Study
*6 undergraduate credits required
Participants will register for 6 total credits (two courses) fulfilling several Diversified Education Curriculum (DEC) categories or Stony Brook Curriculum (SBC) requirements.
All participants following the Stony Brook Curriculum (SBC) will fulfill GLO and EXP+ in addition to requirement(s) fulfilled by their coursework.
Please click the "View Course Information" button towards the bottom of the page to view the updated course listing.
|Language of Instruction||
Language proficiency is NOT required
International Summer School: Students select courses offered by partner institution
July 23 to August 20, 2016
Participants will be housed in single rooms in shared apartments near campus.
2.0 or higher
|Tuition Rate||$270 per credit for NY residents ; $988 per credit for non-residents|
$2,900 (includes housing, group excursions, and international health insurance)
|Administrative Fee||$200 (non-refundable)|
|International Health Insurance||Included in the Program Fee|
$1,100 (approximately; estimated personal expenses, monthly metro pass, books, passport, meals)
Estimated Airfare: $1,500. All student participants will travel together to the study abroad site. Students who do not abide by this policy may be dismissed from the program.
Costs are estimates for planning purposes of the student and are subject to change at any point.
- “Don't be afraid to "get lost." You don't always have to follow the map. Try to go out and put yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable. These experiences will force you to adapt in the best way…” - Brittany, Summer 2015
Grades earned in an exchange program WILL NOT calculate towards the cumulative GPA for SBU students.
Non-SBU students must contact their home university regarding their grade and credit transfer policy.
Links and ResourcesView Course InformationApply Now
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, N.Y.