Summer 2015 in Montpellier, France
About the Program
Participants will experience French language and culture as students at an international summer school in Montpellier, France. With a population of 230,000, Montpellier is the dynamic capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region located in the south of France on the Mediterranean Sea. Known for medieval architecture, Montpellier is also a modern city exhibiting a vitality that includes festivals, theater, music, dance, and more.
Course of Study
- Participants will register for 6 total credits of French language and culture offered at the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
- Students following the Diversified Education Curriculum (DEC) will fulfill Skill 3 and DEC I. Students following the Stony Brook Curriculum (SBC) will fulfill EXP+, GLO, LANG, and SBS+
|Language of Instruction||
International Summer School: Students select courses offered by partner institution
July 4 - August 1, 2015
Residence hall-style accommodations
2.0 or higher
March 1, 2015
$257 per credit for NY residents;
$816 per credit for non-residents
$3000 (includes housing, two meals per day, group excursions, and international health insurance)
|International Health Insurance||
Included in the Program Fee
$1,000 (approximately; anticipated personal expenses, books, passport, etc.)
Estimated Airfare: $1,700. All student participants will travel together to the study abroad site. Students who do not abide by this policy may be dismissed from the program.
Costs are estimates for planning purposes of the student and are subject to change at any point.
- Guided tour of Montpellier
- 4 half-day excursions and 3 full-day excursions
- 4 cultural workshops highlighting traditional dance, music, and cuisine
- Screenings of French movies each week, swimming at beaches and inland rivers, hiking, cycling, and spelunking.
- Past excursions have included the following: Nimes/Le Pont-du-Gard, the Camargue region, Arles, Les Baux-de-Provence, Les Cevennes, and the Roquefort cheese cellars
Grades earned in an exchange program WILL NOT calculate towards the cumulative GPA for SBU students.
Non-SBU students must contact their home university regarding their grade and credit transfer policy.
Links and ResourcesView Photo GalleryApply Now
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, N.Y.