Stony Brook University Study Abroad & Exchange Stony Brook University home page

International Transfer Credit Policy for Summer & Winter
for Currently Enrolled SBU Students

Stony Brook offers several unique study abroad opportunities each summer and winter.  If you are considering participating in a Stony Brook study abroad program, please visit for details and application deadlines.

To obtain Stony Brook credit for  summer or winter courses offered by an institution outside of the United States, currently enrolled Stony Brook students are required to participate in an approved partner university program offered through International Academic Programs (IAP) in the Office of Global Affairs.  All other international credits obtained in the summer or winter will not be eligible as transfer credit applied to your Stony Brook degree program. This also includes international credits taken from U.S. institutions outside of IAP or SUNY.

New York State residents participating in an IAP approved program pay the in-state tuition rate for coursework; all other students participating in an IAP approved program pay the out-of-state tuition rate for coursework.  Scholarships ranging from $500-$3000 are available for IAP participants (eligibility based on academic eligibility and financial burden of program).  Visit for details on IAP approved programs, costs, and scholarships.

pic2   pic1   pic3

Login to Edit