Handshake is the SBU Career Center’s online recruiting database. Using this career networking site, you can look for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities. You can also search for employers, attend a job fair, or sign up for a career development workshop.
After logging into Handshake, you will see a black tool bar on your left hand side
- Select Jobs & Internships
On the left hand side, you will see check boxes for Job Type. Select “On Campus Student Employment.” This will show you all of the currently available jobs on campus. Federal Work Study positions will have "FWS" or "Work Study" in the job title.
- Select Attend -> Fairs
Click the fair you would like to attend. On the "Fair" page, you will see a blue "Join Event" button on the left hand side. Click that button to secure your spot at the event.
- Fill out your student profile - this allows employers to search for you and all the great skills you have!
- Check job postings frequently - these jobs are updated daily. Just because you do not see one you like today doesn’t mean you won't see one tomorrow!
- Search jobs and internships by industry or profession, not by major- companies tend to post opportunities based on industry, rather than a specific major.
- Save your resume as a PDF - If you submit your resume to a job as a Word document, the formatting may be different on a hiring manager’s computer!
- Use the search bar for events - just because you cannot find an event does not mean we do not have it. Handshake alternates which events they show, so type in whatever you are looking for to ensure you find it!
- Ask questions- If you are confused about something on Handshake stop by the Career Center, call us at 631-632-6810 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help!