Master of Arts in Teaching Application
The following required materials must be submitted electronically as a part of your ApplyYourself application Everything listed below is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For admission to any MAT program, the following are required:
- Personal statement. (Guidelines are published on the application website.)
- GRE scores. Arrange to have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official GRE score reports to Stony Brook University (school code: 2548/Stony Brook SUNY Center). Only the general exam results are required; subject exams are not necessary.
- Official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended. Transcript must indicate the conferral of a bachelor's degree and must confirm that you have the required academic major or course work as described on your program description page (see links below).
- One year of college-level study of a foreign language with a grade of “C” or better (Note: This may include American Sign Language; MAT in Foreign Language applicants have additional language requirements -- please see the individual program page).
- Three letters of recommendation. Two of the three recommendations must be from faculty with whom you have completed a course of study at the college level. It would be preferable that these faculty be in the area of your major. Names and email address of recommenders will be submitted in ApplyYourself. Recommenders will receive a link to upload their letters on your behalf to your application. Only in rare instances will paper recommendations be accepted.
- In those cases where the departmental admissions committee deems it desirable, personal interviews with departmental representatives may be requested.
International Students/Language Requirements
There are additional requirements for international applicants or those for whom English is not their primary language. » View details
Under certain circumstances, promising candidates who lack the required academic preparation may be considered for conditional admission. » Conditional Admissions Policy
How to Apply
- Applications, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and the nonrefundable $100 application fee are submitted online through Apply Yourself.
- Students are also required to submit an immunization form to Student Health Services. Visit the Student Health Services Web site for more information.
Transcripts, test results (sent from Educational Testing Services) and any other supporting
materials not included in your electronic application can be sent to the intended
program directors or coordinators listed below.
All materials must be submitted by the published deadlines. Applications submitted after these deadlines will be accepted on a space-available basis. If there is no space available for the requested term, applications will be considered for the following term.
PROGRAM ADDRESSES & Websites
Dr. Nicole Galante
MAT Foreign Language
Please note that we are not accepting applications for the MAT in German at this time.
MAT Social Studies
Graduate Program Coordinator - MAT Social Studies
MAT Science (except Earth Science)
Judy Nimmo, Administrator
MAT in Earth Science
For application procedure questions contact:
School of Professional Development
2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794 - 4434
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. Stony Brook University is 100 percent tobacco-free.