2013 Department Colloquia
Yan Long (University of Michigan), "Empowering Communities? The Impact of Transnational AIDS Institutions on Chinese Repressive Rule, 1989-2012" , Monday February 4 @ 4pm.
Katy Fallon (McGill University), "Does Critical Mass Matter: Women's Political Representation and Child Health in Developing Countries", Wednesday February 6 @ 4pm.
Jae-Mahn Shim (University of Chicago), "Coordinating Plural Logics of Action: The Coexistence of Biomedicine and Alternative Medicine", Monday February 11 @ 4pm.
Shiri Noy (Indiana University), "The World Bank and Targeting in Health Policy in Peru, Argentina and Costa Rica", Wednesday February 13 @ 4pm.
Zack Almquist (University of California-Irvine), "Population Dynamics and Network Dynamics: A Holistic Approach", Wednesday, February 27th @ 4:00 PM
Jennifer Heerwig (New York University), "Money in the Middle: Contribution Strategies amont Elite Donors to Federal Elections, 1980 - 2008", Monday, March 4th @ 4:00 PM
Mengxiao Zhu (Rutgers University), "Motivations for Self-Assembling into Project Teams: Insights from the Study of Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs), Wednesday, March 6th @ 4:00 PM
Craig Rawlings (University of California-Santa Barbara), "Streams of Thought: The Macro-Structure and Micro-Dynamics of Intellectual Integration within a Research University", Monday, March 11th @ 4:00 PM
Michele Lamont (Harvard University), "Shared Cognitive-Emotional-Interactional Platforms: Markers and Conditions for Successful Interdisciplinary Collaborations", Thursday, March 28th @ 3:30 PM
2012 Department Colloquia
Robert Toscano (Italian Ambassador to Iran, 2003 to 2008), "Arab Spring, Iranian Frost? The Middle East between Conflict and Change", December 6, 2012
David Menashri (Academic Center of Law & Business, Ramat Gan), "Iran, Israel, and the Arab Spring", October 24, 2012
Patrick Hutton (University of Vermont) "Nostalgia and Memory", April 11, 2012
Sarah Thebaud (Princeton) "Gender Status Beliefs in Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Are Women Entrepreneurs Penalized?", March 28, 2012
Aldon Morris (Northwestern) Provost's Lecture Series: W.E.B. DuBois: "The Unforgotten Founder of American Sociology", February 9, 2012
35th Annual PEWS (Political Economy of the World System) conference "National Borders in the 21st Century", April 28-30, 2011
News & Events
| •Carrie Shandra wins $30k DPR & SSA Emerging Investigator Award
•Arnout van de Rijt and Robert Harrison (IACS) win $38k SBU & BNL Seed Grant
•Catherine Marrone receives Provost's 2013 Outstanding Lecturer Award
•Ian Roxborough receives SUNY Chancellors Award for Excellence in Teaching
•Sharon Worksman, Undergraduate Coordinator, receives SUNY Chancellors Award for Excellence in Classified Service
•Sasha Rodriguez and Vanessa Lynn receive Stony Brook Turner Foundation Summer Research Grants
•Tarun Banerjee and Gianmarco Savio named co-winners of the Sociology Department's 2013 David Street Award for best qualitative and/or theory paper
•Hewan Girma named winner of the Sociology Department's 2013 Rose Laub Coser Award for best theory and/or research paper in gender studies
•Paul Gootenberg, Professor of History and affiliated faculty member in Sociology has been named a Distinguished Professor
|• Jennifer Heerwig joins our department!
• Kathleen Fallon joins our department!
• 2013 Graduate Student Ethnography Conference on April 19th
• Amy Graglia awarded AAUW Dissertation Fellowship for 2013-2014
• Cheryl Llewellyn and Mike Restivo receive 2013 Graduate School teaching awards
|• Zack Almquist, University of California-Irvine, speaks on "Population Dynamics and Network Dynamics: A Holistic Approach" on February 27th
• Jennifer Heerwig, New York University, speaks on "Money in the Middle: Contribution Strategies among Elite Donors to Federal Elections, 1980 - 2008" on March 4th
• Mengxiao Zhu, Rutgers University, speaks on "Motivataions for Self-Assembling into Project Teams: Insights from the Study of Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs)" on March 6th
• Craig Rawlings, University of California-Santa Barbara, speaks on "Streams of Thought: The Macro-Structure and Micro-Dynaics of Intellectual Integration within a Research University" on March 11th
• Race, Ethnicity, and Inequality Workshop presents Vilna Bashi Treitler, CUNY, "The Ethnic Project: Transforming Racial Fictions into Ethnic Factions", March 14th
• IHSS presents Adam McKeown, Columbia University Dept. of History, March 26th, 2:30 PM, SBS N320
• Michele Lamont, Harvard University, speaks on "Shared Cognitive-Emotional-Interactional Platforms: Markers and Conditions for Successful Interdisciplinary Collaborations" on March 28th
|• Yan Long, University of Michigan, speaks on "Empowering Communities? The Impact of Transnational AIDS Institutions on Chinese Repressive Rule, 1989-2012" on February 4th
• Kathleen Fallon, McGill University speaks on "Does Critical Mass Matter: Women's Political Representation and Child Health in Developing Countries" on February 6th
• Jae-Mahn Shim, University of Chicago speaks on "Coordinating Plural Logics of Action: The Coexistence of Biomedicine and Alternative Medicine"on February 11th
• Shiri Noy, Indiana University speaks on "The World Bank and Targeting in Health Policy in Peru, Argentina, and Costa Rica" on February 13th
• Tarun Banerjee wins NSF Dissertation Improvement Grant
Department of Sociology, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-4356, tel.: +1 (631) 632-7700