Skip Navigation

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

 The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,165. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

Application Procedures

 Apply through the FAFSA

The easiest way to apply for TAP is through the FAFSA. Make sure you have completed your FAFSA!

New York State (NYS) residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page.

TAP on FAFSA conf pg

Didn't Apply for TAP through the FAFSA? You Can Still Apply

If you exited the FAFSA before completing the TAP application – and you filled in your New York State address and a New York State college on the FAFSA – HESC will automatically receive your information in about three days.  HESC will then send you an email or postcard with directions to complete the TAP application online.

Received this notice from HESC? Apply now.

The Application Process Begins with Creation of Your HescPIN

At the beginning of the online TAP application, you will be prompted to create a HESC-specific user name and personal identification number called a HescPIN. You will use your HescPIN when "signing" your TAP application and when accessing your HESC account information in the future.

Important Note Regarding Award 

HESC determines the applicant's eligibility and sends an award certificate directly to the applicant indicating the amount of the grant. 

This award certificate does not guarantee you will receive the indicated amount.  The school will check all eligibility criteria set for by the State of New York.  To see this criteria please visit the HESC website.


Important information about anticipated aid

Anticipated Aid does not guarantee payment of your award.  All eligibility critera must be met in order to receive payment.  It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with ALL eligibility criteria.

To receive an award through the Tuition Assistance Program, the applicant must:

  • Be a US citizen or eligible non citizen;
  • Be a legal resident of New York State for at least one year prior to the start of the term;
  • enroll in an approved program of study in a New York State postsecondary institution;
  • be matriculated;
  • declare a major by the first day of classes of their junior year (57 credits or higher);
  • be in good academic standing;
  • not be in default on any student loan;
  • have a minimum tuition liability of at least $200 per academic year ($100 per semester, $67 per trimester);
  • not exceed the income limitations established for the program;
  • enroll as a full-time student taking twelve or more credits applicable toward the degree program, Primary Major, DEC or SBC requirements, per semester to receive TAP or NYS Scholarships; Student must earn a letter grade in the course; student cannot G/P/NC or withdraw from a course that is considered to be a part of these 12 credits;  
  • Graduated from a New York High School, GED Diploma is acceptable, or take and pass an Ability to Benefit Exam;  

To receive state-sponsored grants or scholarships, the student must be in good academic standing. For financial aid purposes, good academic standing is measured based on Pursuit of program and Satisfactory Academic Progress. Details of these requirements can be found on the financial aid website at, or by visiting the NY State Higher Education Services web site directly at

Students who fail to meet the academic standing requirements will be ineligible to receive their term TAP payment. A waiver of the minimum achievement standards may be granted under certain extenuating circumstances. Students who do not meet the requirements will receive notification from the TAP Certifying Officer as to their next appropriate course of action.

Students who receive TAP awards and permanently withdraw or take a leave of absence may jeopardize their eligibility for future TAP awards. To speak to a TAP representative, call the Registrar's Office at (631) 632-6175.

Part-Time TAP Program

Part-time students at approved schools in New York State who were first-time, full-time freshmen in 2006-07 may be eligible for Part-Time TAP to help them pay for college beginning in 2007-08. Part-Time TAP is a grant and does not have to be paid back. Part-Time TAP is not the same as Aid for Part-Time Study.

Student Eligibility

To be eligible for Part-Time TAP, a student must:

  • Be a first-time freshman in the 2006-07 academic year or thereafter
  • Have earned 12 credits or more in each of the two prior consecutive terms, for a minimum total of 24 credits earned
  • Maintain a minimum of a "C" average

In addition, the student must:

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Be a legal resident of New York State
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, or earned a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
  • Be taking 6 but fewer than 12 credits per semester or 4 but fewer than 8 credits per trimester
  • Not be in default on a student loan or on any repayment of state awards
  • Meet income eligibility limitations
Major Templates

 Templates Tips

  • A template has been designed for the majors offered at SBU.
  • The courses that appear on a template are those that are applicable toward degree completion.
  • To find the template for your major, please select the General Ed requirements you are following (DEC or SBC) and then choose the appropriate major.  If more than one template exists for your major, please select the one that has an effective date on or before your declaration date.
  • Credit load and courses required for a second major and minor(s) should be added in their entirety to the elective area of the template.
  • If you have any questions regarding course applicability, please see your academic advisor.
Major Templates by Curriculum Requirements

DEC Requirements

SBC Requirements


Login to Edit