Dean for International Academic Programs
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Dean, International Academic Programs
Budget Title: Dean
State Professional Position
Department: International Academic Programs
State Line#: 23223
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Required Qualifications: Ph.D. or equivalent Doctoral degree. Doctoral Degree. Scholarship, service, and research experiences appropriate to appointment at the tenured rank of Full Professor in an academic program. Minimum of seven years of full-time professional experience in international academic programs and services. Familiarity with compliance and regulations related to international academic programs. Strong management skills, including stewardship of fiscal and human resources. Ability to work effectively with university senior leadership and with faculty in implementing an ambitious strategic plan. Dynamic leadership, superior communication skills, and a demonstrated dedication to student and faculty services. Proven experience in negotiating international academic consortia or exchange agreements. Candidate must be willing to undertake frequent international travel.
Preferred Qualifications: A distinguished national/international reputation for sustained scholarly accomplishments and a record of excellence in teaching, research, and service in a discipline offered at Stony Brook University. Extensive professional experience working within global and international affairs, including proven administrative and managerial experience in long-range planning, resource allocation, and personnel development. Experience in developing and inaugurating new academic programs. Substantive and successful experience as a higher education administrator at the level of chair or program director, with preference given to candidates who have served as a Dean or Assistant/Associate/Vice Provost for Global Affairs at a major research university.
Brief Description of Duties: The Dean of International Academic Programs is responsible for developing and overseeing a variety of university-wide initiatives and policies related to international research, education, and collaborations at SBU. The selected candidate will:
- Oversee visa and immigration services for students, visiting scholars, faculty and researchers at SBU and will intervene if any crisis concerning visas occurs.
- Development and coordination of university-wide policies and procedures related to International Academic Programs. Acts in consultation with faculty and administrative offices in carrying out the mission of the Provost and the Dean of International Academic Programs.
- Supervises the administration of and ensures the academic quality of Study Abroad and exchange programs.
- Provide leadership for and administrative oversight and coordination of the existing on campus international centers, institutes and programs, as well as overseas sites, including SUNY Korea.
- Work collaboratively with key university stakeholders, especially deans and center directors, to provide strategic vision and leadership for the university’s diverse international programming agenda.
- Meet with students, as necessary, for crisis intervention or to discuss appeals and academic concerns. Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints by students, staff and faculty.
- Support the development and expansion of SBU's Intensive English Center, the Confucius Institute, the institutes for Global Studies and Cognitive and Cultural Studies and the University's Fulbright programs.
- The Dean will coordinate international sponsored programs, and will be responsible for reviewing proposals to develop inter-faculty initiatives on global topics and, working collaboratively with the Deans and the faculty, will also stimulate the development of such proposals.
- The Dean will serve on the University Committee on International Risk Management, which is responsible for reviewing, overseeing and, if warranted, suspending SBU activities abroad.
Special Notes: This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume to:
International Academic Programs
Administration Building, Room 407
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1401
Fax#: (631) 632-7112
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 5/5/2014, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND EDUCATOR. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police