Active Shooter Programs
An interactive discussion/lecture to help the campus community recognize potential workplace violence indicators and to instill within the campus community the knowledge, skills, abilities, and mindset necessary to respond to an active shooter threat. See below for information from our Active Shooter Page.
We're Prepared. Are you?
Since the tragic events at Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, Upmqua Community College, and other schools and universities, many people have asked what they should do in the event of an "active shooter" incident on campus. These situations are unpredictable. However, there are a few steps that can be taken immediately to protect oneself.
Stony Brook University may activate Shelter-In-Place procedures in the event of an active shooter. The following actions are recommended for protecting yourself in an active shooter situation not directly within your building.
- If you are not in your office or dorm go to the nearest room.
- Close and lock the door if possible.
- Turn off the lights.
- Seek protective cover. Stay away from doors and windows.
- Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
- Do not answer the door.
- Call 911 from any campus phone to contact the University Police Department if it is
safe to do so, providing each dispatcher with the following information:
- Your name
- Your location (be as specific as possible)
- Number of shooters (if known)
- Identification or description of shooter
- Number of persons who may be involved
- Injuries (if known)
- Wait for police to assist you out of the building.
During an active shooter situation The Department of Emergency Management will utilize all necessary means of communications. Individuals are encouraged to monitor the SB Alert website and sign up for SB Alert Emergency Notifications.
To prevent panic and better prepare yourself in the event of an active shooter incident within your immediate vicinity/building, watch the video below and remember these three words: RUN. HIDE. FIGHT.
Active shooter preparedness video
This is an educational video containing/depicting implied violence. Viewer discretion is advised.