Giving to the Music Department
Stony Brook's Music Department has grown out of an unusual partnership between the academy and the conservatory. In addition to its overall excellence and broad training in music of various sorts, the Music Department is noted for:
- A Philosophy of Musical Integration: The curriculum is built on the belief that the proper education for any musician or musical scholar must involve three things: a solid theoretical grasp of musical structure; an understanding of the historical and cultural forces that shape music; and practical experience with music-making on a professional level. The Department has a faculty equally distinguished in musicology, composition, and performance. Students are either required or encouraged to participate in musical study from all of these disciplinary perspectives.
- Emphasis on the Study and Performance of Contemporary Music: Based in the belief that the vitality of our present musical culture must entail an ongoing engagement with the music of our time, the emphasis on contemporary music affects all components of the program, from curricular offerings in history, theory, and ethnomusicology, to recital programming, and to regularly scheduled concerts of student and faculty works.
The Department of Music at Stony Brook is pleased to announce the "Friends of Music at Stony Brook." As one of the premiere music programs in the United States, the Department looks to its friends and colleagues to help provide financial support for the numerous and various musical events that it presents at Stony Brook’s Staller Center for the Arts and in New York City. In addition to concerts and recitals--many of which are free to the public--the Department sponsors various master classes and colloquia that are open to interested people.
Donations to the “Friends of Music” will support such events as:
- Masterclasses by visiting artists such as Dawn Upshaw
- Workshops in Baroque Dance and Baroque Music
- Guest conductors such as Leon Fleisher, Gunther Schuller, David Stern, Kevin Noe
- Lectures by Michael Beckerman, Lydia Goehr, Gary Tomlinson, Timothy Taylor, Susan McClary
- Composition Workshops by Tristan Murail, Elliott Schwartz, Ross Bauer, Fred Lerdahl,
- The Premieres Concert Series: an annual concert of premiers presented by the Stony Brook Contemporary Chamber Players
- Composer Showcase concerts: recent concerts have focused on the music Ralph Shapey, Earl Kim, Arthur Berger.
- Children’s Concerts
- Community Music Programs—Commissioning Project, Instruments, Masterclasses
Further information about the Music Department is available at: www.stonybrook.edu/music. For more information about the "Friends of Music at Stony Brook", please contact the Department of Music in any of the following ways:
Mail: Department of Music, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5475