1. Read through the Frequently Asked Questions page.
2. Complete your application to Stony Brook University. You must apply online at www.stonybrook.edu/ugadmissions. For additional information, contact the Admissions Office at (631) 632-6868.
3. Once you receive your Stony Brook ID number, apply to the Music Department by printing and filling out the following form (PDF format):
4. Complete any supporting application materials required for your degree. See below for specific information.
5. Return the application, all supporting documentation, and your application fee to:
Germaine Berry, Undergraduate Secretary
Department of Music
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, New York 11794-5475
The deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials for Fall 2014 admission is January 20, 2014.
All applicants must submit the following along with their application:
1. A brief one page essay detailing your training in music and your aspirations for the future. Be sure the document is labeled “Stony Brook Department of Music, Admissions Scholarship Essay” on the top of the page and be sure you include your name.
2. One letter of recommendation from a music teacher. Letters of recommendation can also be emailed directly to the Undergraduate Secretary, Germaine Berry (Germaine.Berry@stonybrook.edu). Be sure that your name appears (with instrument or area of concentration) at the top of the email.
3. Application fee. Checks or money orders only. Cash will not be accepted. Checks can be made out to "SBU Department of Music"
- Instrumental Majors: $15
- Voice Majors: $25 (covers the cost of an accompanist)
- Pre-recorded auditions: $15
4. History/Theory majors only: one substantial type-written paper on a music history or theory topic
5. Composition Majors only: scores of two compositions, plus recording(s) on CD if available.
Audition DatesFebruary 17 and 19, 2014