Spanish in the US: An Interview with Professor Kim Potowski
Conducted by: Honaidah Ahyad
Tuesday, April 19
(1) Were you exposed to two distinct dialects from birth?
(2) With the amount of Hispanic cultures to choose from, what made you focus on Mexican and Puerto Rican cultures? Is there a cultural or linguistic overlap that makes the pair particularly interesting?
(3) Can you explain the differences, if any, in the pedagogical approach between Heritage Language teaching and Second Language teaching?
(4) When considering an individual's social identity, how important is it for them to maintain their heritage language?
(5) Can you let us know what inspired you to write the first book you authored?
(6) What are you researching at the moment?
(7) In your area of interest, what are some of the big questions being asked right now?