Special Collections and University Archives is committed to providing excellent educational and research opportunities to the Stony Brook University community, visiting scholars, and remote users. Researchers who plan the eventual publication of their work should inquire about restrictions on publication before beginning their research.
Please read the following guidelines prior to visiting the department.
|Entrance, Special Collections
and University Archives
- Advance notice and an appointment is required to visit the department, as collections
need to be retrieved. Please contact the department head to schedule an appointment. Hours are typically Monday through Friday, between 10:30
a.m. and 4 p.m.
- A maximum of 10 boxes and/or 10 books will be retrieved per researcher, per day.
- Materials do not circulate; they must be consulted in the reading room.
- The use of the reading room is dedicated to researchers using materials housed in
Special Collections and University Archives.
- Personal items must be placed in lockers, including but not limited to: food, drinks,
pens, coats, bags, laptop cases, and folders.
- Researchers may bring in the reading room: a laptop or tablet, a digital camera or
a cell phone with a camera, and pencils. Personal notes and notebooks must be placed
in a department locker. Notepads will be provided by the department.
- Pencils must be used for all note-taking. You may bring your own pencils or the department
can provide them.
- Upon arrival, researchers will be asked to sign a guest register, present identification,
and complete a registration form.
- A quiet atmosphere is conducive to research and should be maintained at all times.
- Please silence cell phones. Phone calls may be made or taken in the front lobby.
- Wireless internet access is available in the reading room.
- Materials must be handled with great care. Please do not write upon, lean upon, mark,
or otherwise alter or mishandle materials.
- One book or one folder may be consulted at a time.
- Items must be kept flat upon the surface of the tables.
- Books, papers, or other objects may not be laid on the materials. Gloves, book weights,
and cradles are available, if needed.