Maps & Atlases
Special Collections maintains maps and atlases of Long Island and New York State, dating back to the seventeenth century with Willem Janszoon Blaeu's New Belgium and New England (circa 1640). The map and atlas collections can be searched in STARS, the University Libraries' online catalog.
- Map Collection at Stony Brook University
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Sanborn Digital Maps (Geo Edition) for New York State (accessible to SBU students, faculty, and staff)
- Union List of Sanborn and Other Fire Insurance Maps
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection: a searchable collection of more than 50,000 maps and atlases.
- Old Maps Online: a gateway to historical maps from all over the world.
- New York Public Library: New York state, county and city atlases.
- The Mapping of New York State: A Study in the History of Cartography by David Yehling Allen.
Frederik de Wit. Nova Totius Terrarum Orbis Tabula, circa 1668.