Charles E. Lawrence Collection
Papers, [ca.1846]-1908. 1885-1886, 1905-1907 (bulk)
10 linear inches
Organization: correspondence arranged alphabetically.
Charles E. Lawrence was commissioner of highways for the Town of Smithtown, NY and
a breeder of trotting horses. According to Smithtown historian Bradley Harris, Lawrence (1852-1923) was "labeled
an 'old horseman' in his obituary for his skillful training of horses as well as his
breeding and raising of champion race thoroughbreds such as Baronward. Simultaneously,
Lawrence ran a prosperous farm in Hauppauge."
Correspondence, flyers, brochures, photographs, receipts, advertisements, account
books, diaries, newsletters, and printed material primarily dealing with Long Island,
NY. Includes materials on the Smith family, a locally prominent family.
Gift of Charles Embree Lawrence, 1981.
Re-processed by Kristen J. Nyitray, July 2015.
Rights and Permissions
Stony Brook University Libraries' consent as the physical owner of the collection
does not address copyright issues that may affect publication rights. It is the sole
responsibility of the user of Special Collections and University Archives materials
to investigate the copyright status of any given work and to seek and obtain permission
where needed prior to publication.
- Agricultural Society of Queens-Nassau Counties. 2 ALS, 1907, Mineola, NY, from Thomas
H. Bacon, Secretary, Horse Department; 1 horse show brochure
- American Association of Trotting Horse Breeders. 1 TLS, 1907, Cleveland, Ohio, H.
K. Devereux, Secretary
- American Horse Breeder. (re Lady Suffolk)
1 TLS, 1905, Boston, Mass., E. G. Fawkes, Advertising Manager.
1 TLS, 1905, Boston, Mass., T. L. Quimby, Treasurer.
2 DS, 2 TLS, 1905-1906, Boston, Mass., E. O. Kenney
2 ALS, 1906, New York, NY, Arthur C. Thomas, Associate Editor.
4 TLS, 1906, New York, NY, Arthur C. Thomas
- Bartlett & Company (printers). 1 TLS, 1905, New York, NY, Louis H. Orr, Treasurer.
- Bedell, W. H. 1 ALS, 1905, Babylon, NY
- Brill, E. C. 2 ALS, 1906, 1907, Poughquag, NY
- Brown, Charles Hilton. 2 ALS, 1884, 1885, Smithtown, NY
- Brush, T. (?) 1 ALS, 1885, Smithtown Branch, NY
- Bryden Horse Shoe Company. 1 TL, 1905, Catasauqua, Penna., George E. Holton, President.
- Buffett, N. T. (?) 1 ALS, Fresh Pond, 1885
- Burtis, Charles H., 1845-1884. 4 account books, 1870-1875 (see box 2)
- Butler, Prescott Hall, 1848-1901. 2 ALS, 1886, New York, NY
- Carman, Mrs. Samuel. 1 ALS, 1885, St. James, NY
- Conklin, J. B. 2 ALS, 1884, ?, Smithtown Branch, NY
- Corp (?), W (?). 1 ALS, 1846, New York, NY
- Craft, Harvey C. 1 ALS, 1907, Glen Cove, NY
- Darling, Alexander H. 1 ALS, n.d., n.p. (l800s?)
- Dean & Westbrook (bridge contractors). 1 AL, 1885, New York, NY
- Douglass, Richard D. 1 ALS, 1872, Brooklyn, NY; 1 commencement program, Brooklyn Collegiate
and Polytechnic Institute
- E. E. Gray Co. (horse medicine). 1 TL, 1906, Hinsdale, Ill.
- Edwards, John S. 1 TLw/ANS, 1907, Sayville, NY
- Ely, James R. 1 TLS, 1905, New York, NY
- F. W. Bird & Son (roofing). 1 TLS, 1906, New York, NY, C. Kiel
- Findlay, A. 1 ALS, 1885, Ronkonkoma, NY
- Game Protective Society of the Town of Smithtown
1 ACS, 1883, Smithtown Branch, NY, J. B. Conklin, Secretary.
1 AC, 1884, Smithtown Branch, NY, George A. Smith, Secretary (printed)
1 TL, 10/13/?, Smithtown, NY, re meeting for suppression of intemperance and gambling
after meeting of game association, some names pencilled at bottom of mimeographed
sheet, all in same hand
- Hammonds. 1 AL, undated, n. p., transcription by someone else.
- Hodgkinson, George Smith, Jr., 1860-1928. 1 ALS, 1885 (?), St. James, NY
- Hongkong Insurance Company, see Smith, E. M.
- The Horse Review. 2 TLS, 1906-1907, New York, NY, Fred Beachey 1 TL, New York, NY,
Fred Beachey mimeographed; 4 TL, 1906-1907, Chicago, Ill.
- The Horseman and Spirit of the Times. 3 TL, 1906, Chicago, Ill.
- Jaycox, Walter H. 1 TLS, 1905, Patchogue, NY
- Jewell (?), B. B. 1 ALS, 6/6?, St. James, NY (1880's?)
- Lawrence, Charles E., 1851-1923.
17 ALS, 1885-1887, Hauppauge, NY
1 ADS, 1887, Hauppauge, NY
3 AL, 1885-1887, Hauppauge, NY
- Mount, Thomas S., 1834-1900 (?). 1 ALS, 1885, Stony Brook, NY
- Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. 1 AL, 1887, Yorkshire, NY, with return postcard to F.E. Drake
- O’Brien, J (?) Z. 1 ALS, 1887, Sayville, NY
- Parker (?), A (?) L. 1 ALS, 1906, Babylon, NY
- Platt, Elias Smith, 1837-1890. 4 ANS, 1882-1883, St. Johnland, NY
- Plumb, J. Ives. 1 ALS, 1906, Islip, NY
- Rea, Charles L., “Dr.” 1 TL, 1907, Kansas City, Missouri
- Ryan, Thomas J. 1 ALS, 1905, Pittsburgh, Penna. (hotel)
- Smith, E.M. Receipts to/from:
1 ANS, undated, NP. pay bearer
1 ANS, 1866, pay “John Jones (sign. )”
1 ANS, 1866, pay bearer
2 ANS, 1866, pay from account
1 ANS, 1866, "W. P. Jones, " Amoy, _____, pay Messrs Boyd & Co.
1 ANS, 1866, New York, NY, Brooks Brothers
1 ANS, 1866, Amoy, Hongkong Insurance Co.
1 ANS, 1866, Amoy, Hongkong Insurance Co., S. Gunderson (?)
1 ANS, 1866, Amoy, Bellamy & Co., “C. A. Shyre (?)”
1 D w/AN, undated, Amoy, Hongkong Insurance Co.
1 DS, 1885, Hauppauge, NY, School District #6, “E. Y. Blydenburgh”
- Smith, Ebenezer M. 1 ALS, 1885, New York, NY
- Smith, George Thomas, 1837-1924. 1 ALS, 1886, St. James, NY
- Smith, John Lawrence, 1816-1889. 2 ALS, 1881, 1885, Smithtown Branch, NY
- Smith, James Otis, 1837-1923. 1 ALS, 1886 (?), Commack, NY
- Smith, Jeffrey Abram, 1834-1891. 1 ALS, 1885, St. Johnland, NY
- Smith, John Haven, 1818-1894. With Lawrence, C. E. & Platt, E. S.
- Smith, Wilmot M. 10 ALS, 1885-1886, Patchogue, NY
- The Smithtown Star. 1 ALS, 1903, Smithtown Branch, NY, R. L. Burchan
- The Standard Paint Company (roofing). 1 TLS, 1905, New York, NY, J. N. Richards, Manager,
- Suffolk County (NY) Board of Supervisors. 1 ALS, 1886, Riverhead, NY, Ebenezer Bryant
- Suffolk County Agricultural Society. 1 ALS, 1907, Brooklyn, NY,
Edward Thompson, President; 1 TLS, 1907, Riverhead, NY, Harry Lee, Secretary.
- Suffolk Stock Farm. 2 ALS, Mt. Sinai, NY, 1905, A. S. Rowland
- Thompson, Edward. 1 ALS, 1886, Northport, NY
- Tuttle & Clark (Manufacturer of horse harness). 1 TL, 1907, Detroit, Mich. (Charles
B. Tuttle, John G. Clark)
- Underhill, Henry W. 4 ALS, 1906-1907, Jericho, NY
- Underhill, Samuel J. 1 ALS, 1905, Jericho, NY
- Wells, George H. 1 ALS, 1884, South Haven, NY
- Wheeler, R. B. 1 ACS, 7/13/?, Hauppauge, NY (1880s?)
- Willow Brook Driving Park Association. 2 TLS, 1907, New York, NY & Bay Shore, NY,
William H. Moffitt, President.; 2 TCS, 1 TLS, Bay Shore, NY, 1907 & undated, E. J.
- Wills, H. B. 1 ALS, 1884, Smithtown Branch, NY
---, Arthur. 1 ALS, 6/30/1884, New York, NY, J. A. McMicken & Co.
1 AN, re highway?, undated, mentions E. M. Smith
1 AD, 1881, Smithtown, NY. Agreement between Elizabeth H. Lawrence and John Conklin
re payment for farm work
1 AN, 1883, Smithtown, NY. To S. Jenkins
1 AD, 1884, Smithtown-Hauppauge, NY. Highway surveyed by R. B. Wheeler, and also
mentions George Huff & Wallace Donaldson
1 AL, 1884, Hauppauge, NY. To Mr. Jones re enclosure from Mr. Smith but from another
1 AD, 1892, Smithtown, NY. Pencilled description of land deed
- receipts to/from:
1 ANS, 1873, Riverhead, NY, Charles Hallett
1 AN, 188- (?), Smithtown, Commissioner of Highways, sums
1 ANS, 1882, Northport, NY, Jesse Carll
1 ANS, 1883, Northport, NY, Jesse Carll
1 ANS, 1882, Smithtown, NY, T. F. Wheeler
1 AN, 1882, New York, NY, W & J Sloane
1 ANS, 1882, Smithtown, NY, John H. Smith
1 ANS, 1882, Smithtown, NY, John H. Smith
1 AN, 190-, Hauppauge, NY, Hauppauge Stock Farm
1 TN, 1905, Easton, Penna., The Chemical Publishing Company
1 AN, 1905, Smithtown, NY, Blydenburgh’s Mills
1 AN, 1907, New York, NY, The Trotter and Pacer
1 TN, 1908, Chicago, Ill., Bit & Spur Publishing
- advertising, Charles E. Lawrence, horses Baronward and Kolitz, circa 1904-1906
- genealogy, Lady Suffolk (horse), circa 1901(5 items)
- business cards, railroad tickets, circa 1870s-1900s (9 items)
- ephemera, horses, 40 pieces, circa 1903-1907 (40 items, 2f)
- photograph, interior of “M.E. Church,” “near Stuyvesant Park,” undated
- account books and ledgers, Charles H. Burtis, Brooklyn, NY, circa 1870-1875 (4 books)