IRACDA NY-CAPS Research Mentors
Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- Tom MacCarthy:Computational Immunology: modeling somatic hypermutation in Immunoglobulin genes &Evolutionary Systems Biology: modeling the evolution of gene regulatory networks.
Biochemistry & Structural Biology
- Vitaly Citovsky: Genetic transformation of plant cells by Agrobacterium, intercellular transport
of plant viruses/ plant cell proteins, remodeling of plant chromatin by histone modifications.
- John Peter Gergen: Regulation of gene expression during Drosophila development.
- Robert Haltiwanger: Role of protein glycosylation in signal transduction & quality control.
- Nancy Hollingsworth: Chromosome behavior during meiosis.
- Wali Karzai: Post-transcriptional gene regulatory processes in prokaryotes.
- Huilin Li: Structural biology of macromolecular assemblies.
- Erwin London: Membrane protein structure & structure function of lipid membrane domains.
- Aaron Neiman: Vesicle trafficking, membrane fusion, cytokinesis, signal transduction, & extracellular matrix assembly.
- Steven Smith: Structure & function of membrane proteins .
- Gerald Thomsen: Mechanisms of cell fate determination & embryonic development.
- Danny Bluestein: Dynamics of blood flow & cellular transport during cardiovascular pathologies.
- Richard Clark: Wound healing, tissue engineering & skin disorders.
- Emilia Entcheva: Development of electrical, optical, mechanical & chemical tools to study cardiac
cells & heart tissue.
- Stefan Judex: Integrative Skeletal Adaptation & Genetics.
- Jonathan Liu: Development of biomedical optical devices for diagnostics & therapy.
- Lillianne Rivka Mujica-Parodi: Neurobiology of emotional arousal, & its effects on physiology & cognition.
- Yi-Xian Qin: Physical mechanisms involved in the control of tissue growth, healing, & homeostasis.
- Clinton Rubin: Cellular mechanisms of bone growth, healing, & homeostasis.
- Balaji Sitharaman: Development of nanobiosystems for diagnostic & therapeutic.
- Helmut Strey: Nanostructure materials for applications in bioseparation, drug delivery & biosensors.
- Elizabeth Boon: Bacterial biofilms
- Isaac Carrico: Chemical biology/protein engineering
- Kenneth J. Takeuchi: Inorganic materials, implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICD) battery improvement.
- Iwao Ojima: Drug design & discovery (anticancer agents, antibacterial agents, enzyme inhibitors),
medicinal chemistry & chemical biology, catalytic asymmetric synthesis, organic synthesis
by means of organometallic reagents & catalysts, homogeneous catalysis & organometallic
chemistry, peptide & peptidomimetics, beta-lactam chemistry, & organofluorine chemistry
(fluoroamino acids & peptides, medicinal applications).
- Nicole Sampson: Relation between protein structure & function & synthesis of chemical tools to probe
& control biological function.
Ecology & Evolution
- Haluk Akcakaya: Applied ecology & conservation biology.
- Liliana M. Dávalos: Phylogenetics, molecular evolution, tropical deforestation
- Walter Eanes: Molecular evolution, phylogenetic analysis, & population genetics.
- Catherine Graham: Biogeography, conservation biology, & ecology.
- Jessica Gurevitch: Biological invasions, plant population & community ecology, meta-analysis & ecological
- Brenna Henn: Genetic and phenotypic diversity, evolutionary genomics.
- Dianna Padilla: Aquatic ecology, applied ecology, conservation biology, marine ecology.
- Joshua Rest: Evolutionary genomics & gene regulation.
- Krishna R. Veeramah: Primate Comparative Genomics; Genetic Basis of Epilepsy
Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
- Jorge Benach: Pathogenesis of spirochetal infections & their host responses.
- James Bliska: Molecular mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis or host protection interactions.
- Nicholas Carpino: Signaling mechanism in of T cells
- Carol Carter: Retroviral protein assembly & molecular basis of resistance to drugs.
- Bruce Futcher: Cancer; cell cycle; microarrays; computational biology; yeast genetics
- Patrick Hearing: Adenovirus (Ad) regulation of cellular growth & gene expression; Ad assembly & viral
vectors for gene therapy
- James Konopka: Molecular mechanisms of cell growth & development in yeast.
- Laurie Krug: Virus-host interactions during chronic gammaherpesvirus infections.
- Erich Mackow: Rotavirus & Hantavirus Pathogenesis.
- Brian Sheridan: Resident memory T cells (Trm) in the intestines; Memory gd T cells in mucosal inflammation
- Adrianus Van Der Velden: The mammalian T cell response to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium.
- Eckard Wimmer: RNA virus genetics, replication, pathogenicity, cellular receptors.
- Weixing Zong: Molecular regulation of apoptotic & necrotic cell death.
Neurobiology & Behavior
- Maurice Kernan: Mechanosensory signaling in ciliated sensory neurons & sperm flagella.
- Arianna Maffei: Neuronal circuits & plasticity.
- Gary Matthews: Synaptic vesicle cycle that mediates chemical neurotransmission.
- Lorne Mendell: Functional effects of neurotrophins in neonatal & adult mammals.
- Lorna Role: Generation, plasticity, & maintenance of cholinergic & cholinoceptive synapses in
the mammalian brain.
- Lonnie Wollmuth: Molecular mechanisms of synaptic transmission, glutamatergic synapses.
- Martha Furie: Interactions of bacterial pathogens with host cells of innate immunity.
- Jingfang Ju: Mechanism of translational control mediated by miRNAs in cancer.
- Richard Kew: Innate immune system contribution to the pathology of tissue injury.
- Yupo Ma: Stem cell research.
- Ute Moll: Function & regulation of the p53 gene family in normal cells & cancer cells.
- Kanokporn Rithidech: Identification of mechanisms involving radiation induced myeloid leukemia. Biomarkers for radiation & multiple sclerosis.
- Kenneth Shroyer: Cancer biomarkers as diagnostic adjuncts in surgical pathology & cytopathology.
Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology
- Bruce Demple: Repair pathways for oxidative DNA damage & genetic regulatory systems that govern
cellular responses to oxidative stress & nitric oxide.
- Michael Frohman: Roles for lipid signaling pathways in cellular & physiological settings.
- Craig Malbon: Signal transduction in differentiation & development: role of molecular scaffold
- Markus Seeliger: Molecular mechanism of protein Kinase & Ubiquitin Ligase signaling in cancer & aging.
- Styliani-Anna Tsirka: Neuro-immune interactions: cross-talk between the nervous & immune systems in health