Tips for Ensuring Delivery of Emails from the Health Sciences Office of Student Services
Given the increased security filters on email accounts, it is each applicant's responsibility to be proactive in order to ensure delivery of emails from the Health Sciences Office of Student Services (as well as your academic program). The Health Sciences Office of Student Services will continue to monitor this situation and is working to resolve known issues. Despite our ability to confirm emails have been sent, we cannot guarantee their delivery. We have recently found an increase in blocked emails to Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail accounts.
The following steps are suggestions to improve your communication with the Health Sciences Office of Student Services.
- Add our email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, to your contact lists (and/or safe senders list)
- Periodically check your spam folder and mark our messages as "Not spam"
- Create a filter for our address. The following are instructions for a Gmail account but may be applicable to others. You must use a search engine to find instructions for your specific account.
- Go to Settings > Filters and Blocked Addresses > Create a new filter
- Enter our email address into the "To" field OR our email domain (stonybrook.edu) to the "From" field
- Click "Create filter with this search." You will be given filter options. Check off "Never send it to Spam" (you may add additional filters if you like)
- Click the "Create filter" button
Thank you for taking the time to proactively ensure open communication with our office. While these are only suggestions which may not resolve the issue, these steps should improve delivery of emails from the Health Sciences Office of Student Services and avoid blocked emails. If you continue to experience difficulty receiving emails from our office, please call or email for assistance.
Reminder for Continuing Students and Newly Admitted
As of August 14, 2013, University policy states all students are responsible for receiving and reading official University communications at their primary campus email account. Further information on this policy can be found HERE.
Newly admitted students should review the New Students Quick Guide for information on their campus email account.
Additional communication between the Health Sciences Office of Student Services and other departments on campus may come through SOLAR. Students must review their SOLAR account regularly for important information.