Associate Professor, Director of Latin American and Caribbean Center
Office: Frank Melville, Jr. Memorial Library N3017
- Click here for CV (curriculum vitae)
- Click here for personal webpage
Paul Firbas is associate professor in the Dept of Hispanic Languages and Literature at Stony Brook University and Director of Latin American and Caribbean Center (LACC). He specializes in Spanish-American texts of the colonial period. Before coming to Stony Brook in 2007, he was assistant professor at Princeton University (2001-2007) and visiting professor at Columbia University (spring 2007).
His research deals with epic poetry, textual criticism, historiography and the colonial geography of transatlantic South America. In 2006 he published a study and a critical edition of Armas antárticas, epic poem written by Juan de Miramontes Zuázola (Lima: PUCP, 2006). He is also the editor of a volume of essays on Ibero-American epic texts in the colonial word Épica y colonia (Lima: Univ. de San Marcos, 2008).
He has published several articles on epic poetry and cultural traditions in colonial Peru, on Sarmiento de Gamboa’s accounts on the Strait of Magellan, and the colonial image of Lima. He is currently working on a book on the moral geography of Strait of Magellan between 1579 and 1622; on an edition of Lima News-sheets of early 18th century; and on a series of essays on memory and excavation in the Andes.
He has also co-edited with Pedro Meira Monteiro a book on documentary film maker Andres Di Tella: Cine documental y Archivo personal. Conversación en Princeton (Buenos Aires: Siglo XXI, 2006).
Recently taught courses (click here for course descriptions)
- SPN 652 Utopian texts in the Andes
- SPN 652 Matter and Voice in Colonial Textualities
- SPN 652 Colonial moral geographies
- SPN 435 Fictions of Communities in the Andes
- SPN 435 Civilization and Barbarism
- SPN 453 Literature, Non Fiction and Journalism in Latin America
- SPN 395 Introduction to Latin Americcan Literature: Colonial Period
- SPN 396 Introduction to Latin American Literature: Modern Period
- HUS 254 Latin America Today
Publications (click here for selected list of publications, details and links)
Luis Fretes Carreras
(Centro de Estudos Internacionais
Instituto Universitário de Lisboa)
CARTAS SOBRE LA GUERRA DE LA TRIPLE ALIANZA Y LOS NUEVOS EQUILIBRIOS EN EL RÍO DE LA PLATA
Wednesday, October 22, 2014, from 1.00 pm to 2.15 pm
LACC Seminar Room, Social and Behavioral Sciences N320